Thread: Cornell Capa Has Passed Away

Cornell Capa Has Passed Away

(New York, New York—May 23, 2008) Cornell Capa, visionary photographer, editor, and Founding Director of the International Center of Photography (ICP) died in New York on Friday, May 23, 2008. “The world has lost a great photographer and a great humanitarian; the world of photography has lost its greatest friend and champion,” said Willis E. Hartshorn, ICP Ehrenkranz Director.

Cornell Capa, who founded ICP in 1974, coined the term “concerned photographer.” His own photographs throughout his lifetime remained true to that mission. His respect for humanity and his desire to help better the world through photography was reflected in his images. He photographed missionaries and poverty in Latin America, and covered politics throughout the United States, including his classic studies of Adlai Stevenson and John F. Kennedy. The lyricism of the Bolshoi Ballet, and the quirkiness of American and British life found their way to Capa’s camera; and his documentation of old age in America showed us that photographic images have the power to change the way we look at the world. “Cornell believed that photographs could lead us to action,” said Mr. Hartshorn.
    One of the passions of Cornell Capa’s life was a dedication to the example set by his brother, famed war photographer Robert Capa. Cornell Capa’s photographs and those of other photographers he championed, often reveal the richness of an ordinary person’s relationship with the world, encompassing everything from cataclysmic events to the subtle epiphanies of daily life. “It took me some time to realize that the camera is a mere tool, capable of many uses,” Capa wrote in 1963, “and at last I understood that, for me, its role, its power, and its duty are to comment, describe, provoke discussion, awaken conscience, evoke sympathy,
    Concerned Photographer Cornell Capa, 1918-2008

Cornell Capa
    New York, 1983
    © Petr Tausk
    media release
    1133 Avenue of the Americas at 43rd Street New York NY 10036 T 212 857 0045 F 212 857 0090 www.icp.org

Re: Cornell Capa Has Passed Away

A legend leaves us, what a life, what a legacy.

Re: Cornell Capa Has Passed Away

How fitting it is that I'm reading a book title "Interviews with Master Photographers" and it includes such noted photographers as Minor White, Imogen Cunningham and Brett Weston. Right now, I'm reading Cornell's portion and all he has done for photojournalism and for photography in general.
    He was a powerful person, who had a great vision and a talent for getting things done.
    He will be missed.