Thread: Choosing Custom Profiles with Epson printers

Question Choosing Custom Profiles with Epson printers

I think I am getting too old for this as I feel I am losing my mind.

I have an Epson 7000 and have produced a custom profile which is saved in Windows/Systen32/Spool/drivers/color along with many other profiles. Now when I go to print and choose Custom in the printers MAIN dialog box I do not see the icc profiles available. At some time in the far distant past I somehow created a name for a profile and it does appear but I cannot re-create the path I took to do that.
    A little tutorial to refresh my memory would be appreciated. Nothing in the printer manual or ProfileMaker manual.
    Thanks
    Bill

Re: Choosing Custom Profiles with Epson printers

Hi, the custom profile would be applied in Photoshop if that is your application.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Tech Support, Chromix, Inc.

Hi again, Bill!

Is it possible that you renamed the profile file name after you created it? Profiles have internal as well as "external" file names. The profile names that show up in a lot of programs (like Photoshop) are actually the internal file names. So you might have renamed a profile, and you can see the new name when you are browsing to the file in an explorer window, but the same profile actually shows up in the Photoshop list under the original profile name.

-Patrick Herold

Talking Insuring the proper profile is actually being printed

Quote Originally Posted by pherold View Post
    Hi again, Bill!

Is it possible that you renamed the profile file name after you created it? Profiles have internal as well as "external" file names. The profile names that show up in a lot of programs (like Photoshop) are actually the internal file names. So you might have renamed a profile, and you can see the new name when you are browsing to the file in an explorer window, but the same profile actually shows up in the Photoshop list under the original profile name.

-Patrick Herold
    Thanks Pat
    When I did a profile one time a box appeared and asked me to name the profile. This was not an .icc or .txt file but a common name file. Well this file appears in my printer setup menus--I cannot repeat this ?? Actually really not needed as I should print from photoshop anyway.. It is interesting that on one of my computers the icc files will show in Photoshop Elements and the other computer will not show my new profiles. Very interesting things happening here. I haven't actually renamed any profiles. I have to actually use 2 computers to go from profiling to printing as my printing computer will not run the Spectroscan. Serial port communication problems.

I still have to learn what settings I need at the printer level menu and what settings at the Photoshop selections to absolutely insure that I am going to make a print with the correct profile. This is my biggest dilema.

Thanks for the advice
    Bill

Hi, if you want to specify the ICC profile in Epson, go to custom, ICM, Advanced, ICM mode (advanced), check show all profiles... then you should see your profile. Good luck.

Jon

ps this is from Epson 3800 print driver, I'm guessing it might be different on an older printer.
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 24-May-2008 at 15:27.
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com