Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Tahoe Next Week

Lake Tahoe Next Week

Hi,

I have a trip planned to Lake Tahoe next week for three days. I would appreciate any sight recommendations for doing photography. I have seen some photographs showing rocks/boulders at the lake shore. Any idea where I might find such locations? Any other good spots? We would be staying in Stateline - a town located on the south-east edge of the lake.

Thanks.

// Atul

Paul Cocklin

Re: Lake Tahoe Next Week

Follow Rt. 89 (I believe) around the lake clockwise from your location, and in a very short while you'll come to Emerald Bay and the parking lot with an overlook and a trail down. Really, just do an entire loop of the lake, which should take about 5 hours going slowly, and then choose your favorite spots.

Stop in the CalNeva resort in North Lake Tahoe and check out the stage where the Rat Pack used to play, and see the swimming pool where you can swim from California to Nevada. I don't think they let you swim back if you're carrying fruits or vegetables, though...

The top of Heavenly Ski area is a good spot for a shot of the whole valley, as long as you don't mind ski-lift towers in the shot.

SW of the lake are Fallen Leaf lake and another small lake (I forget the name) but there's a pretty cool waterfall that should be flowing nicely this time of year.

I realize I'm not being very helpful, but my memory of rt numbers is pretty shady and I don't want to steer you wrong...

ETA: oh, those rocks along the shore pics are probably done from the east shore of the lake, about midway north and south, there is a parking lot on the right just after a tunnel (heading south, coming from the north). Park here and you can walk out onto the rocks. If Tahoe were a clock, it's located about the 3 O'Clock position, iirc.
    Last edited by Blueberrydesk; 23-May-2008 at 10:13. Reason: edited to add

Make the drive over to Virginia City, that is a nice town for photo ops.

Thanks, Paul for the details.

Thanks, Pat for the Virginia City recommendation. I will see whether we can fit it in our schedule. Any specific spots or landmarks in the Virginia City or is it good for general street photography of buildings, etc. or are there any scenic spots around the city?

Regards,

// Atul

How much snow (or mud) is on the ground would be an issue. Camp Richardson and Fallen Leaf Lake are good areas and easy drives from Stateline. Take one of the Gondolas up from Heavanly Valley Lodge or Stateline if they are still running. If possible, the Stateline gondola tops out at a hiking area with a trail to East Peak with lots of classic Sierra Granite/Red Fir overlooking the Lake. IIRC on the Heavanly Valley website there is an East Peak web cam so you might check it out to see if it has morphed from a ski run to a hiking trail yet.

On Kingsbury Grade you'll find a small park at the top with some good views of the lake as well. Follow Kingsbury Grade down and you can get to Genoa, a neat old community. Virginia City is very touristy, but it does have a beautiful old church and an operating portion of the old steam railroad to it's credit---plus an excellent restraunt in an old stone building along side the West side of the road down to Carson City (I can't remember the name---sorry!)

Back in S. Lake Tahoe you might check out Emerald Bay and Vikingsholm. You may want to scout out areas around Cave Rock (not a cave, it's a tunnel for hwy 50 really, but there is a turn out and access to the lakeshore) and Spooner Summit.

If the Heavanly Sky lift is still running, you can ski and you're completely crazy put everything (plus a pair of sneakers) in a back pack and go to the top. You'll see a large pile of rocks that is the summit of Monument Peak. Change into your sneakers (too dangerous to climb in ski boots) and sugar ant your kit to the top for a beautiful 360 degree panorama of the lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks and the nevada desert with Minden and Gardnerville sparkeling like diamonds in the sand.
    You've got to ski down though
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thanks, John, for the info.

// Atul

Viginia City was a strong silver mining town in the 1800's. It nearly became abandoned. Though the TV series Bonanza, which was shot on a sound stage in Hollywood, brought it back to life. It is the Old West Town with great street shots. There was an old steam locomotive that ran a few miles out into the mountains and back to town you could buy a ride on. Old mining equipment, very large cemetery, and old saloons. I think you would enjoy it.

jetcode

The lake is gorgeous and relatively small and the drive around it beautiful. If you seek a higher elevation you can get a better panoramic of the entire lake. You are also about 45 minutes from the Nevada desert floor I believe.

I think it's Harveys. My sister used to work there are told me some very interesting facts about the place.

The floor layout is designed as a maze so you can't easily find an exit. In fact when you look for an exit it is a machine or table that you will encounter first. If you look at the carpet you will find a pattern that is meant to induce dizziness which is designed to keep your head up and on the tables and machines.

There is a significant psychology to gaming. The machines are electronic meaning the odds are distributed by software algorithms. I would not be surprised if payout percentages can be fixed by management.

There is a Costco in Carson City at the bottom of HWY 50 on the East side of the Sierras--a good bet for gas if you need to fill up (good "bet"-hahahahahaha!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Near Stateline, you can go to Nevada Beach. There are trails through the meadows and then a nice public beach on the Lake. Further East, the Cave Rock boat launch area. There is a state park at Spooner Lake, on 50, and if you turn left there, it is about 8 miles to Sand Harbor. John Kasain's recommendations are all sound. It is very nice here due to the Spring storms and I am sure you will not go wrong not matter what you do.