Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Calumet Cadet best option on a budget?

Is Calumet Cadet best option on a budget?

I am starting back into large format photography after being aways from it for s everal years. At the moment, I don't have a lot of money to invest and what I d o have I want to put into a good lens. I have been looking at the Calumet Cadet because of its price and the trade-in option later down the road and was wonder ing if this is a good option? Understanding that it is not a Canham or Linhof, is it sturdy and rigid and does anyone have any experience with it for landscape photography? I am considering the Wide version. Would a Tachihara or Toyo 45C X be a better choice or is there something that I'm not considering? At the mom ent $650.00 is about all I can give for any camera. Thanks for your help.

Russell, think "used."

I would go with a 45NX. It's a lot more camera than the cadet. Through 3/31/01, the NX is on sale for about $650.00 I think. You can also get a 210mm Caltar II-E f6.3 for about $320.00. Check their website.

I use a 45NX. It's fine for the work I do. (landscape, using my car to store gear). It's not backpackable. It's a good simple view camera with plenty of movement, and there are many system parts available new and used. Good Luck with your decision.

whatever you get, try to get something with a graflok back, rather than a "springback" which is the older standard and looks like a mousetrap. (You'll know it when you see it) Graflocks offer more options in the Polaroid and Rollfilm back worlds. "Backology" seems to be one of the frist beginner studies. See my question in rhe "beginners Questions" subcategory (Is this a Graflock?) the answers have some excellent links.....

I have a Toyo 45AR, I like a lot. But the new version is too expensive. If you can find a used one in good shape it would probably serve you well.

I bought a Toyo 45CX, too, and it's decent for the money. Not quite as rigid as the AR. Both have graflok backs, and they are interchangeable.

Check out the Calumet on sale, though. It seems to be a decent value.

If, however, you're doing much landscape work away from the car, you'll want a field camera, not a monorail. Close to the car, though, a mono-rail can work.

i can offer a very strong recommendation for the cambo/calumet 45NX. i have used one professionally for over 18 years now (i shoot HABS/HAER work for a living). i bought mine to do architectural work about 15 years ago, and i now run several thousand negatives a year through that same camera - i just cant find a single good reason to buy another camera to replace it. that machine has fallen down cliff faces and into rivers, and i swear to god i think it is going to last longer than i do. it is my best friend.

I'd look up some of the magazine reviews of the Cadet. (I think View Camera had one a year or so back, and there are others.) What I'm hearing is that it's a very good value, and likely the best buy available today for the beginner. Don't get me wrong. I love vintage cameras (my fave is almost 80 years old) but they usually require some TLC prior to use, and with the Cadet you know what you're getting - a camera that will work out of the box (no light leaks or shaky struts, etc.) and if there ARE any problems, you know where to call and you can get it fixed on their dime. (Calumet has decent customer service.) For a hassle-free intro to LF, I'd look real hard at it.

Cheers!

Here's another vote for the Calumet NX. I got mine used for $500. I too was looking at the Cadet and the Toyo CX, but I like the NX because it has all the basic movements, and most importantly for me the extension. You don't really need all that geared focusing.

Cheerio

My recollection of the reviews and comments over the internet about the Cadet is that it wasn't a particularly impressive camera although unfortunately I don't remember the specifics, nor do I remember where I read the reviews. Personally I'd hate the idea of having to choose between a wide angle and a normal version of a camera. While most of my work is with slightly longer than usual lenses (210mm and 300 mm in 4x5) I wouldn't want to beprohibited from using my 90mm or a 75 mm on occasion. For $650 you could get a new Tachihara, which to me would be a much better choice for landscape photography - light (4 lbs.), compact, sturdy, plenty of movements, has the capability of using anything from a 65mm lens to a 300 mm normal or 400 mm telephoto, etc. Many fine photographers (e.g. Ray McSavaney) have used the Tachihara for their entire careers. It's a camera you could very well end up keeping for the rest of your large format life, which I suspect the wide angle Cadet wouldn't be. Just my opinion of course.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Beverly Hills, California

I love my Toyo45C Monorail: ~8lbs, high quality rotating back/groundglass, geared front and rear rise/fall, system camera, and appx. $800US at Robert White. Good luck in your search.