Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ansel Adams`s Camera.

Re: Ansel Adams`s Camera.

I've read a story about an Adams workshop where a representative from Sinar was showing off the features of the F, and Adams set up a still life on the piano to see who could produce a finished Polaroid faster with everything in focus, and of course Adams won handily without the benefit of the Sinar swing-tilt and DOF calculators, since the photographer's experience is usually more important than the technology of the camera.

So I suspect he wouldn't go out of his way to use a camera like the Horseman, but if he got it as a demo or if the company paid him to test it or possibly endorse it, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    But what would he use if he were alive today?!
    You mean Ansel's not alive??? I just thought he was in a big slump...

Folks,He was just a talented photographer!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    with Scotch
    Moon shine?

Domenico,

Have you ever had the chance to see any of his actual prints up close, especially the big ones?

I've had that honor on several occasions including hanging every print in a large show of his work in 1988. To me it was damn near like being asked to create the interior of a cathedral.

Yeah, he is pretty much my hero, but he got that way due to a study of his quality and science and creativity, not because I have starry eyes for a couple of his images or for the natural landscape.

I'd say he was a talented photographer like Da Vinci had some talent as a painter and was just a fair inventor and engineer.

He wasn't a God of photography, but I think he saw through eyes that most of us only wish we could have.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I imagine he would explore the digital photography to broaden its possibility of expression.

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    Domenico,

Have you ever had the chance to see any of his actual prints up close, especially the big ones?

I've had that honor on several occasions including hanging every print in a large show of his work in 1988. To me it was damn near like being asked to create the interior of a cathedral.

Yeah, he is pretty much my hero, but he got that way due to a study of his quality and science and creativity, not because I have starry eyes for a couple of his images or for the natural landscape.

I'd say he was a talented photographer like Da Vinci had some talent as a painter and was just a fair inventor and engineer.

He wasn't a God of photography, but I think he saw through eyes that most of us only wish we could have.

Tim
    What kind of tripod he used ???

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Thanks a lot for this post, guys. I am really enjoying viewing the videos.

What did he have for breakfast? I remember reading somewhere that he favored corned beef and bourbon while traveling in the Sierras' pursuing 'visions.' If that's true, it must have been rough first weeks for him fiber-wise - if you know what I mean.

Adams was a great phptographer.

Ansel was a friend of my father's, when we lived in New Mexico. When he visited to photograph with my father I got to run around on the roof of his station wagon's plywood platform, I was about 6 years old. Hopefully some of his craft rubbed off though the wood. This was about 1953. All I remember of him was the camera platform.
    Great photographer, magical printer.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Just btw...

Late in his life, he said his best body of work was his 1936 show at Stieglitz' An American Place. A few years back, the Center for Creative Photography recreated the show using the original exhibition prints for most of the show, and vintage Adams prints for those that couldn't be obtained.

All contact prints, from 8x10 or smaller, and very few landscapes. Of all the photography exhibitions I've seen, if I could see one again, it would be that one...

There was a soft-cover catalog with all the images, if you can find one.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."