Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever feel really STUPID???

Re: Ever feel really STUPID???

actually, i've made the same error when i bought my 810M, as the seller... because of this false limitation i had a great discount ;-) !

One of my friend bought an old nickel leica elmar lens 35mm f3.5 at a steal price from a shop, who told him the lens is defective and the lens barrel can't be pulled out from collapsed position. Sorry not a LF thing, but archivue reminded me.

Hopelessly Lost

Just today i was screwing around in the garage reassembling some old petzvals and I wanted to try a different configuration of the lens elements. So, after some math and tinkering I had my 4x5 up on the sticks and I was amazed as to how 'long' I made my tame 6.5" lens. I racked focus back and forth for awhile trying to focus and just gave up thinking that it was just too long for my bellows when I realized the lens was in my hand and I had nothing, not even a lens board on the camera.

Oh, I also found that the same camera has a bubble level. It had been covered by velcro from the previous owner and I never took it off.

I blame cheap chinese food for lunch and all the MSG (that and a low IQ).
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

Not a LF mistake, but a dumb one all the same; a few years ago I got my first medium format camera - a Yashica TLR. For days I kept thinking, "Gee, this waist level finder is fine and dandy until I have to shoot in portrait mode ..."

Then my teacher reminded me that the film is square 6x6. Doh!

- Jeff

How about years ago when I showed up to shoot a basketball team and individuals for a high school about 20 miles away. Had everything I needed in lights, stools, lenses, film and no camera body! Duh!!!!!!!
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    I bought my Toyo 810M from Arizona Highways photographer Trevor Stanley way back in 1982. Which means I've had it for 26 years now.....

And my biggest complaint has always been it's ridiculously short bellows extension.

Why did it take me until today to figure out that part of the bed extends forward? I mean....it's only blatantly obvious. Worse yet...why am I admitting it to you folks?
    now that's entertaining ... and all these years you thought you purchased a wide angle 8x10 camera! ... I think it's a great story and worthy of a good laugh for all of us

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    How about years ago when I showed up to shoot a basketball team and individuals for a high school about 20 miles away. Had everything I needed in lights, stools, lenses, film and no camera body! Duh!!!!!!!
    I did the same ... trekked to Yosemite for a short trip with my new toy, the 5D, only to discover I left all my media cards at home. Thank god the Ansel Adams gallery just happen to sell cards to the digital wannabe Ansel crowd led by folks just like me!

I am just in New Mexico -- a few days earlier I put my fresh, unopened 4x5 film into the bag with the Harrison Tent -- and last night I tossed the Harrrison into the large checked case... super x-rayed new film. Luckily Camera and Darkroom in Santa Fe stocks it and it was easy to swing by and have lunch there to boot.

Frank,

I'm sorry but I don't believe you've met the minimum qualifications for this thread.

Your in New Mexico with a 4x5 camera.

Trust me, it it quite possible to do really stupid things even in New Mexico with a 4x5.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"