Thread: scanning resolution (scaling-resampling)

scanning resolution (scaling-resampling)

forgive this basic question... from what i can gather for optimum scanning results one should work with the scanners optical resolution and scale down by integers.

what happens with a flatbed that offers diverent vertical and horisontal resolutions?, i'm working with an iq smart 3 which advertises an optical resolution of 5500 x 10000, should i just stick with the 5500 and scale down from there, 1375, 2750 etc.?

interestingly the "preset" resolutions on the oxygen software are not divisible by integers...

thanks for your help!

adrian

Re: scanning resolution (scaling-resampling)

Quote Originally Posted by adrian tyler View Post
    forgive this basic question... from what i can gather for optimum scanning results one should work with the scanners optical resolution and scale down by integers.

what happens with a flatbed that offers diverent vertical and horisontal resolutions?, i'm working with an iq smart 3 which advertises an optical resolution of 5500 x 10000, should i just stick with the 5500 and scale down from there, 1375, 2750 etc.?

interestingly the "preset" resolutions on the oxygen software are not divisible by integers...

thanks for your help!

adrian

Adrian,

As someone pointed out in another thread, if the important information or detail is arranged in the direction of the high number you can get a significant increase in detail by scanning at a higher number.

My EverSmart Pro has optical resolution of 3175 spi X 8200 spi. With most negatives I can get a much better scan at 6350 spi than at 3175 spi, though the increase in quality is mostly academic since in practice I rarely need anything better than 3175 spi.

By the way, if you have a resolution target you can see how this works. Resolution targets have discrimination bars arranged in vertical and horizontal directions, and sometimes on a diagonal. If I scan a resolution target with my EverSmart at 8200 spi one set of bars, either the horizontal or vertical, will read about 150 lines/mm, while the other one will read only about 60 lines/mm. Curiously, the diagonal ones will read some intermediate value. This shows me that this is definitely something to be gained by scanning at a higher resolution figure than the low optical number.

Sandy King