Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Large Format Photography

Re: What is Large Format Photography

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    Many LF photographers have embraced digital technologies. At this point I am more interested in art, composition, and creativity, and am actively seeking this outside of this forum: no problem.
    If you really want to do great work with your art you will waste your time with any forum. If that is your goal, you should focus tightly on what it is you want to achieve, and work to make it happen. You can only find this force from within.

About 95% of my real time is spent with the process of making carbon transfer prints. I rarely discuss the issue here, and not often on the other forums because people would not understand me, and there are only a handful of people in the world I could learn from. And I communicate with many of those persons directly. I engage with persons on this forum on other issues not primarily related to my own artistic passions. If you want to do outstanding work, focus, passion and a commitment to goals and methods are necessary IMHO.

Sandy King

Marko, 20-30 years ago Ralph would have given a much narrow description of LF unless he was prescient. I don't know, 20 -30 years ago I don't remember LF discussions about digital backs, scanning, digital printing from LF negatives (except for presses), digitally enlarged negatives etc. etc. LF and this forum has changed allot, but when a forum treats DSLR technique on the same footing as 8x10 film it will be just another scattered photo forum.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    If you really want to do great work with your art you will waste your time with any forum. If that is your goal, you should focus tightly on what it is you want to achieve, and work to make it happen.

About 95% of my real time is spent with the process of making carbon transfer prints. I rarely discuss the issue here, and not often on the other forums because people would not understand me, and there are only a handful of people in the world I could learn from. And I communicate with many of those persons directly. I engage with persons on this forum on other issues primarily to pass the time between the various wet and dry operations of my work in printing with carbon transfer. This is a passion that few will understand, but if you want to do outstanding work, focus and passion is necessary IMHO.

Sandy King
    Yes I hear you on dialing in a process and making it your own.

You might think this is nuts but in a site like flicker I can view a LOT of images and examine composition and that is what I am after at this point. Saturating my compositional palette. What makes an image work and why. I am finding that sites with a high concentration of images yield higher results more efficiently. I also find that web sites by professional photographers and artists of all schools very informative as well. I feel that I am in research mode right now.

My post above was intended to address both the original question (what is large format?) and address what falls within the scope of this forum. Developments in digital photography have not changed what is generally considered to be "large format" - it's still 4x5 and larger film-based cameras. For the unsure, a check of how retailers categorize their product offerings will confirm this. Ask Jeff at Badger Graphic Sales for a "large format" camera, and it's not likely that he'll serve you a high-MP DSLR with a side order of stitching software.

There are, however, some digital tools that have been embraced by traditional large format photographers, and the scope of this forum has adjusted to include those. Scanning with digital output and digitally-enlarged negatives are good examples. As such, we are not a "film-exclusive" forum like APUG. But, APUG has the perfect right to define their scope as they choose, and rightly expect that scope to be respected.

We're here to discuss matters that fall within the scope of the forum as we have defined it, not debate whether long-standing definitions should be changed.

jetcode

sorry dave - didn't mean to anger you - but to expose the reality we all live in now

I don't think anybody is saying that the forum should become free-for-all. But just as the 4x5 was once considered to be small format, so is technology changing what it means now and what it will mean in the future.

I still think that some of the questions I raised are perfectly valid in the context of this forum, especially those that pertain to the difference between the terms "Large Format" and "View Camera". I also think that digital has blurred some of the "traditional" boundaries almost beyond recognition while the others are still very clear.

After all, what's the harm in discussing it all?

As for APUG, yes they have the perfect right to define their scope as they choose, just like any other forum. They have both their scope and their boundaries clearly and unambiguously defined. While the scope of this forum - the use of view cameras - is clear, its boundaries are not, however, precisely because the actual medium is not defined. It was assumed that it would be film in the time when film was the only game in town. But the times are changing and insisting on strict physical dimensions of the medium now is therefore nothing else than restricting the medium itself without explicitly saying so.

All those oft-repeated attempts to define the Large Format are, therefore, nothing else than attempts to eliminate confusion.

Just my $0.02.

P.S.

And by "digital", I DO NOT mean DSLR or such. DSLR is just another SLR, only with a digital light-sensitive medium. It should be pretty clear that it is not LF. Could its output be compared to LF under certain circumstances? I don't know, but sounds like it might be worth discussing.

Well it looks like the Original Poster, got his wish, 8 pages of posts, on a subject that has been discussed to death over the last few years...

Dave

Or perhaps only 3-4 pages if you don't count all those who claim it's already been discussed to death. Even less if you also discount all the posts that discuss whether it should be discussed or not.

I agree that this forum should have the right to establish the parameters under which it operates. More succinctly, appropriately, and accurately I might add would be to rename this forum as "The View Camera and Film Forum...a subset of Apug"...although in this sense Apug, rather than being cloistered and unduly restrictive, in my opinion, is actually more liberal it would now appear.

There seems to be a lot of interest in stitching and high-end digital capture on openphotographyforums.com (it's also monitored by a couple of Sinar guys, so I can get my Linhof info here and Sinar info there). Maybe that is a better place to discuss such topics. I'm sure there are others as well.

I follow a few different forums, and try to stay on topic in each one. The internet's a big place.