Thread: Lens suggestions

jadphoto

Lens suggestions

I need some feedback on lens choices. I have available at good prices the follow ing: Zeiss Tessar 100 mm f/3.5, Ysarex 95 mm f/3.5 and/or Zeiss Planar 80 mm f/2 .8.

I want to use one of these on a 6x9 view camera with roll film back. I'd like to hear from anyone with first hand knowledge of any of these.

I only need moderate movements as the camera is used for scenics etc.

Thanks in advance for your help/advice/suggestions/opinions/b.s./whatever.

Joe D.

Lens suggestions

Joe, I can tell you the Planar will NOT cover 6x9. Been there - done that! Great for 6x6, marginal for 6x7, and lousy for 6x9!
    Alec

Lens suggestions

The 80mm Planar won't cover 6x9 with or w/o movements. It might barely cover 6x7 (since you're using a roll back). There is little to choose between the other two; get the cheaper one, or whichever has a better shutter.

Lens suggestions

The tessar and Ysarex are both the same formula. I suspect the Ysaresx is a little newer lens. You find many of them marked Poloroid, as it was used in their copy cameras. I had a 127 Ysarex that was extremely sharp at the smaller stops. The ones marked Poloroid are in a Copal shutter. There won't be enough difference in focal length between the tessar and Ysarex to make any differene. The tessar formula is a four element design and makes a decent general purpose lens with enough image circle for some movements.

Regards,

Lens suggestions

I have a late production Century Graphic that came with the 100mm F/3.5 Tessar and I can tell you it is very sharp from F/5.6 on down on all the various roll film sizes. Also, Graflex offered the 80mm F/2.8 Planar for the XL and in my catalog they have shots with all the various lenses offered on 3.25 by 4.25 Polaroid with drawn on masks to show the field of view on the various (smaller) roll film formats and the 80mm Planar covered the Polaroid. Maybe those other guys have stricter quality standards then I do.

Lens suggestions

I'm pretty sure the Planar won't cover, tempting as it is to use it.

Of those you mentioned I'd give the Tessar first try.

I'm using a 105 f3.5 Linhof Schneider Xenar on little view camera w/6x7 back; it covers ok with plenty of movement capability. I got it from KEH in better con dition and cheaper that any equivalent offerings on ebay.