Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Swiss Alps in Sept.

Re: Swiss Alps in Sept.

Quote Originally Posted by Remigius View Post
    Beware, film is about double the price here than in the US.
    And what isn't ?

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    And what isn't ?
    Swiss watches and chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Lachica View Post
    Swiss watches and chocolate.
    Sure, both you can buy in the US for the same doubled price...

I've given up on photography in the Alps. Too many jacuzzis cluttering up the landscape: http://www.jaccuzzi.ch/index_e.html.

Everyone has mentioned the mountains. I'd like to quietly point out that September is often a great time for the plants on the hillsides between where the towns stop and the glaciers start. Quite apart from the culinary aspect (wild strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and mushrooms are all present depending on altitude and aspect), the colours and patterns are fabulous.

So if you do go to, say, the Gornergrat or Kleine Scheidegg, do yourself a favour and walk down to the valley through the woods and meadows.

PS: if you're spending time in Lausanne, the town museum has some truly macabre specimens on display. Two-headed lambs, a pair of cojoined human twins, and a sad little stuffed desert hedgehog. The cathedral was held together with silver masking tape last time I was there, which made for some amusing snapshots.

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    I've given up on photography in the Alps. Too many jacuzzis cluttering up the landscape: http://www.jaccuzzi.ch/index_e.html.

To avoid them, you have to know places away from crowds, the right days and times etc. I often look for the old military observatory view points from the time of WWII. Once you have found one you can identify the others (they looked at each other to be able to give visual signals in binoculars). Often nothing more than a shallow hole in the terrain with a little protection (stone wall) against wind, just to hide a sitting man. They have excellent view over mountains, are away from people and a great spot for pictures. Often you sit there, looking at tourist under you, who have no idea you can see them and be unseen. In Jura I know some of them, where the sunset is more than 1/2 hour later than valleys they overlook. Alps are full of them and it's fun to look for them.
    October is the time for colors in Alps, with beautiful fog in valleys. But all this is more or less for Alp connaisseurs, the common tourist is condemned to crowds.