Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple, PC, notebook, iMac .. ?

Apple, PC, notebook, iMac .. ?

The same question all the time - I know. But I would like to find out a solution that would fit my needs and budget.

I would like to be able to process files up to 1GB (4x5 scanned with2000 dpi in 16 bit is cca 400 MB and plus some adjustements ... ~ 1GB) in PS CS3, although files of 200 - 500 MB will be more common. I was considering wheter to simply to get a PC and decent 20 or 24 inch wide screen or jsut to get a 24 Inch iMac, - or even - a bit crazy solution - a small laptop (MacBook presumably) and external screen. Sure - the last solution would cost more (the sceen would have to wait a bit) but would allow me to work with PS when I am out of home.

I would prefere probably the iMac (I hate a bit those standard PC with lot of cables around), but I do not know how much it is suitbale for such a work. How does the Aplle screen performs with photo applications?

Is the laptop idea entirely crazy?

Bottomline question - how much memory should do the trick? I know one has never enough but how much would work reasonably? I have now 756MB in older PC and - well - once the file goes above 200 - 300 MB the life slows down a bit too much.
    Matus

Re: Apple, PC, notebook, iMac .. ?

Speaking of cables, because all Macs come with built-in Blue Tooth, you can get a wireless mouse and keyboard for the iMac, and you will have only a power cord to trouble over.

If you add an external monitor, you get a huge work area, and there is native support for separate monitor calibration.

These things have been designed by design professionals, for design professionals.

I chose iMac. The screen is big, bright and crystal clear. The calibration process was very easy, and colors match well with my output. I have an old scsi scanner and I was able to connect it to iMac via the Ratoc FR1SX SCSI-to-Firewire converter. Vuescan immediately recognized my scanner and the scans were very good. Well, and, of course, Mac is better than Windows ))
    I bought my system with 1gb of memory and upgraded to 4gb for about ~$100. Works just fine, I never had any issues with it.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../53IM2DDR4GBK/

I also chose iMac between iMac and MacPro and have no regret. I already have MacBook Pro, but I use only iMac for photo works. The color space / video ram of laptop is limited. Just put max RAM to iMac.

I use a MacBook Pro w 4 gb of RAM. A desktop system of the same price would be faster for several reasons, but I believe that I am more productive with a laptop because I can use it more situations -- such as when watching television and doing simple tasks.

Like this forum ;-)

Get the new iMac 24", and a couple of external big hard drives for storage.

Other World Computing is a great source for memory and drives.

http://www.otherworldcomputing.com/
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I have an iMac and a MacBook (laptop) and they both work fine for me, but a laptop is often a stretch. If you can afford only one computer, then get an iMac and max it out on RAM. A 24" iMac, of course, the comfort factor is larger than the price difference, IMO. And get two external firewire disks for backup. Laptops are nice and handy, but they are small, they tend to overheat and the built-in keyboard and mousepad are definitely not good for serious work. They do calibrate, but aren't as good as the screens built into the iMacs. Again, IMO.

Are you folks who are advocating laptops really editing 1 gig files? At 1 gig and 4 gigs ram, PS is going to start swapping to the drive, and that has to be slow on a laptop.

I think Mr. Richards is right. I have a Mac Book Pro with 2GB of RAM and I would think twice about using it to edit a 1GB file in Photoshop. PS is a resource hog, it will try to use two or three times that amount of RAM as cache. If you don't have that amount of RAM in your computer, then PS will start using disk cache and things really start to slow down.
    I like the MBP option. I use my laptop to edit files on the go, and for working with Final Cut Pro on the go. I have a Firewire 800 drive that I use as an editing drive and can move between my desktop machine and my mobile machine easily, but when the files get really large, there is no substitute for a fast desktop with lots of RAM and a fast hard drive.
    So, what you really have to ask yourself is would mobile computing be a significant benefit or is shear computing power more important. How often will you be editing really large files?
    Good Luck with your search.

r.
    Last edited by Richard Wall; 13-May-2008 at 20:38. Reason: bad spelling

I use a 3GB, 2.33GZ, MacBook Pro primarily for shooting tethered on location for clients. It is a great piece of equipment for that, but IMO it does not calibrate (EYE1/Graytag) nearly as accurately as my office PC/Lacie, so I am wary of doing any final editing on it. Also for 1GB files it is a bit slower than my PC. The newer 4GB ones are not enough of a bump to upgrade, but maybe the 64 bit PS CS4 in the fall will require me to upgrade both my computers?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"