Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another backpack question.

Re: Another backpack question.

Have you talked to Bruce at photobackpaker? I am sure he can accomodate you and find you the right backpack and fit. I really like what he did for me, the system is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    Are the Trekker packs padded or not?
    Not the inside. The inside is just one big compartment, with the zipper going down to within two inches of the bottom of the pack (so everything is easily accessible.) The padding one sees in the photo was all added by me.

Where the camera is kept, I have two layers of closed cell foam against the the back of the pack -- inbetween these two layers is a stiff layer of paper board -- about the thickness of 8-ply matboard. Its purpose is to keep sharp pointy things from applying uneven pressure against the GG of the camera when I lay the pack down. (the suspension padding and padded shoulder staps also help pad the equipment when the pack is laid down on its back.) Notice I put the camera in with the GG towards the back of the pack.

I have one layer of the same foam that goes all around the sides and top (inside) of the pack as well as another layer that forms sort of a tray around the camera...then an extra layer on the bottom of the pack for extra padding for when I set the pack down.

The extra piece of foam seen next to the pack goes on top of the camera (actually the bottom of the camera where the tripod connects). It pads the holders in the daypack that otherwise would be againt the camera with only the packcloth for padding. I can toss in two or three more holders inside, too. The extra piece of padding also serves as a padded waterproof place to set equipment on on-site...or for me to sit on on wet ground, on snow, or on rough rocks.

Probably as clear as mud, but the photo of the pack should help!

Vaughn

PS...I have been very happy with this set-up. I occasionally have lower back problens and find that once stapped in to my pack, the hip suspension actually helps my lower back and keeps it from hurting.

PS #2 I have had this pack for 10 years or so...one trip by plane and 100's of miles by foot -- a lot of those miles off-trail. It has held up very well (no repairs needed). I do not know what improvement/changes the company may have made since I bought mine. Hopefully they have improved the buckle for the hip belt -- that does loosen up while hiking and I have to re-tighten it as I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Gasteazoro View Post
    Have you talked to Bruce at photobackpaker? I am sure he can accomodate you and find you the right backpack and fit. I really like what he did for me, the system is great.
    I did, The kelty 3100 backpack doesn't fit my back very well. I might check these MEI packs out.
    Thanks everyone!

I did, The kelty 3100 backpack doesn't fit my back very well. I might check these MEI packs out.
    Thanks everyone!
    I bought my MEI at a local camping/sporting goods store -- I have no idea how well they are distributed across the country. Good luck!

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I bought my MEI at a local camping/sporting goods store -- I have no idea how well they are distributed across the country. Good luck!

Vaughn
    Vaughn,
    After spending some time reading all the information I gathered about this pack, I think this is exactly what I need, as long as the suspension fits me well. I will probably call them to find out the nearest local store in OH or NJ (moving there next month) that has their packs.
    Songyun

P.S. How about Voyageur vs Trekker? It looks like Trekker is Voyageur+ daypack + side pocket, am I right?

Vaughn,
    After spending some time reading all the information I gathered about this pack, I think this is exactly what I need, as long as the suspension fits me well. I will probably call them to find out the nearest local store in OH or NJ (moving there next month) that has their packs.
    Songyun

P.S. How about Voyageur vs Trekker? It looks like Trekker is Voyageur+ daypack + side pocket, am I right?
    You might be right -- it looks like the Voyageur has some sort of shallow front pocket.

The daypack of the Trekker is what makes the pack so handy -- being able to fit 5 to 6 (six is a tight fit) 8x10 holders, plus another pocket for odds and ends, is great. I do not use the side pockets very often, but on all day hikes away from the car one can stash a bunch of food, a water bottle and a water filter easily in them. The side pockets are permanently attached, but disappear into their own zippered flaps when not in use.

I am 6'4" (well, now 6'3" with age), and the Trekker II fits me fine -- it is 3" longer than the Trekker I and the Voyager. Space-wise I could get away with the Trekker I, though I might have to leave a lens behind. I carry the Zone VI 8x10, 4 to 5 lenses (some are pretty small), spot meter and darkcloth in it...and still have room for 3 more 8x10 holders in the main compartment (plus the 5 in the attached daypack). And if I am returning from a all-day photographing adventure and am out of film or it has gotten dark on me, I will also put my Ries A250 tripod head in the pack rather than carry it on the pod.

Vaughn

Thanks everyone!
    Hi Songyun:

I just want to insert a point of clarification. I no longer sell the 3100.

I have 2 new packs built to my design by Kelty. They have been built to to accommodate everything from 4X5 to 8X10. I think you may find the P2 to be what you are looking for. It features Kelty's top-of-the line suspension.

Bruce
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Photobackpacker View Post
    Hi Songyun:

I just want to insert a point of clarification. I no longer sell the 3100.

I have 2 new packs built to my design by Kelty. They have been built to to accommodate everything from 4X5 to 8X10. I think you may find the P2 to be what you are looking for. It features Kelty's top-of-the line suspension.

Bruce
    Thanks, Bruce. Can you tell me which Kelty pack is using this kind of suspension? I just want to try it out at local store.

Scott Brewer

A couple of tips:

Go to a shop that will size you (if you want to see a video on the proper sizing of a backpack check out Backpacker magazine's website). Also the person helping should be able to get all the adjustments set up for you. There is a REI in Marlton NJ, also Eastern Mountain Sports might be near you.

If you can, bring your camera equipment! The sand bags are ok but putting your stuff (especially when it is something strange like an 8x10 ) will allow you to truly know how it fits and distibutes the weight.

Osprey does make the Atmos in a 50. Remember they are designed to be lightweight, very breathable packs. The sacrifice is in the suspension. If you want something with a nicer suspension and waistbelt (that is moldable to you) try the Aether. The drawback is the smallest is a 60.

I just switched out my Lowepro Photo Trekker for the Osprey Stratos 40. For long trips I use my regular, fullsize pack. Of course, I shoot with a small camera (4x5)

I am a big fan of Osprey's packs.

It sounds like Photobackpacker may have something nice.

Good luck

Scott

Bruce, if my MEI ever dies, I will definitely look into your new line of Keltys. They look great at a great price. But I have feeling that by the time it does die, I'll probably be more likely be looking for a used baby-jogger sort of thing!

Vaughn