Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a LIGHTER tripod

Looking for a LIGHTER tripod

Hello, everybody:

I was looking at the tripod my 4X5 Anonymous field camera is sitting on, and I think I'd be more inclined to use it if the tripod was lighter. I currently own a Bogen 3221 Variable-Weight tripod, and it is no fun to lug more than 50 yards. (BTW, a variable-weight tripod is one that most of you are familiar with; you may already own one: it's a tripod that gets heavier the farther you have to carry it. )

What would be a good lighter tripod (I know that this is a very loaded question)? I would be interested in one made by a well-known manufacturer, not extremely expensive (range: $100.00 to $300.00). Maybe a wooden tripod??? I am certain that I'd use this camera more if I didn't have to lug around as much equipment.

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Steve Mack

Re: Looking for a LIGHTER tripod

Contact Kerry on this forum for Feisol tripods.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=35901

Tomaas

Another vote for Feisol. Contact Kerry Thalmann on this forum.

I replaced my 3221W with an 055XDB. Best switch I ever made. I may also get a carbon fiber later this year for traveling, but so far 055 is light enough to carry, strong enough for the Chamonix and sturdy - plus it is almost as high as the 3221.

I have never been a fan of collar leg locks after owning a few with them. I currently use the Bogen carbon fiber 055MF3, which is a bit lighter than the aluminum 055XDB Robert mentioned. It is the best 4x5 field tripod I have ever owned, solid, light. quick to set up and rock solid.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I have never been a fan of collar leg locks after owning a few with them. I currently use the Bogen carbon fiber 055MF3, which is a bit lighter than the aluminum 055XDB Robert mentioned. It is the best 4x5 field tripod I have ever owned, solid, light. quick to set up and rock solid.
    I've thinking about the 055MF3 myself; it all depends upon how much round-trip tickets to Sydney are going to set me back this year.

I'll second (or third) Kerry and Feisol ... great product and great customer service.

And, as always it depends on how you want to use it. I backpack and have Feisol's lightest, most compact tripod (3441) and ballhead (CB-30) ... the combination totals 2.6 lbs ... and with my Gowland 4x5 added it is still under 5 lbs ... amazingly light.

Capacity limit of the tripod is 13 lbs. ... well over any of the three 4x5 field cameras I have. It is not rock-solid, but solid enough ... especially with weight hung from the center post. The great thing about it, is I take it pretty much every place I go ... and I use it for my 35mm, old folders, and my 4x5. I know I have gotten pictures I never would have gotten with heavier gear ... simply because I wouldn't have had it with me.

I use a Tachihara 4x5 and the Feisol 3441 and CB-30 ballhead. I agree with what has been said about them. They will hold you in good stead.

Michael A. Heald

Giottos Lava Classic tripods will easily fit in your price range. Lava is Giotto's name for basalt columns and tubes. Of course it would be easier to answer your question if we knew how much your camera and lens weighs that will be on the tripod.

Another possibility would be a Berlebach wood tripod but that would be heavier then the Lava tripods.

www.reallybigcameras.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen S. Mack View Post
    Hello, everybody:

I was looking at the tripod my 4X5 Anonymous field camera is sitting on, and I think I'd be more inclined to use it if the tripod was lighter. I currently own a Bogen 3221 Variable-Weight tripod, and it is no fun to lug more than 50 yards. (BTW, a variable-weight tripod is one that most of you are familiar with; you may already own one: it's a tripod that gets heavier the farther you have to carry it. )

What would be a good lighter tripod (I know that this is a very loaded question)? I would be interested in one made by a well-known manufacturer, not extremely expensive (range: $100.00 to $300.00). Maybe a wooden tripod??? I am certain that I'd use this camera more if I didn't have to lug around as much equipment.

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Steve Mack
    Steve,

I shot with Bogen 3021/3221 tripods for over nine years before I switched to carbon fiber tripods twelve years ago. So, I'm very familiar with your current tripod - and all too familiar with how heavy it starts to feel the further you get from the trailhead. Believe me, once you go carbon fiber you never go back.

The new, improved CT-3301 Standard Class model from Feisol is very similar in most specs (height, folded length, capacity, etc.) to your current Bogen/Manfrotto 3221, but about half the weight (2.59 lbs.). At $215.00 it is a bargain among new carbon fiber tripods.

The slightly upscale CT-3342 Tournament Class model from Feisol offers a few additional features, a slightly higher load rating and is slightly taller and a few ounces lighter (2.27 lbs.). But, at $299.00 is still within your budget range.

Both of these models are a good match for most 4x5 field cameras.

If you have any specific questions about Feisol tripods, I'd be happy to answer them here. Or, you can send me an email at:

sales@reallybigcameras.com

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras
    http://reallybigcameras.com