Quote Originally Posted by Eric Biggerstaff View Post
I will give a BIG thumbs up to the Giottos line of tripods, high quality, great price and the most features of any pod on the market today (IMO).

I prefer the Lava series of pods in the "Classic" version (all come in either "Classic" or "Pro", the pro version as a built in pan/tilt head).

I am NOT a distributor of these pods and have no business connection with them, it is just a nice series of tripods with lots of features found on more expensive pods for much less money. Also, the come with standard features like padded case, shoulder strap, padded legs, tool kit, etc. that many of the more expensive lines don't even offer.
Eric,

I have no dispute with anything you say. I'm sure the Giottos is a fine tripod and everything you say it is. I'm glad you found a good match for your needs.

However, keep in mind the OP's goal. He specifically stated he was looking for a "lighter tripod" - something significantly lighter than his Bogen/Manfrotto 3221. I don't have the specs for it handy, but from memory I seem to recall the 3221 to weigh just over 5 1/2 pounds (5 lb. 9 oz. rings a bell). I checked the specs on the current Giottos lava Classic series. The model with the 28mm diameter legs and an 8kg load rating, and other specs most similar to the 3221 is the MT-7361. It weighs 4.2 lbs. - only 1 lb. 6 oz. less than the OP's current 3221.

The Feisol CT-3301, also with 28mm diameter legs, but a slightly higher 9kg load rating, weighs in at 2.59 lbs. - 3 lbs. less than the OPs current heavyweight 3221. The slightly more upscale Feisol CT-3342, with 28mm diameter legs and a 10kg load rating, weighs 2.27 lbs. - or over 3 lb. 4 oz. less than the OP's current tripod.

Again, I'm not disputing anything you've said about your Giottos Classic series lava tripod. Just pointing out that it doesn't really offer than much of a weight savings over the Bogen/Manfrotto 3221 - which is, after all, the OP's stated goal. Comparing a carbon fiber tripod to one made from lava isn't really an apples:apples comparison. With the focus on saving weight, a more valid comparison would probably be comparing carbon fiber tripods from Giottos and Gitzo to those made by Feisol.

Kerry Thalmann
Really Big Cameras