Thread: Are Sinar Shutters Trouble?

Are Sinar Shutters Trouble?

What I'm wanting to know from someone who has used a Sinar shutter is if they are a good idea that just doesn't quite work.
    Are they dependable? Do they break or jam often? Can they be serviced or repaired if needed?
    I think I've come up with a neat way to adapt one to my wooden view camera that takes Sinar type boards, but I just have never used one to know if they are more trouble to keep going then they're worth?
    thanks you!
    Robert N.

Re: Are Sinar Shutters Trouble?

I have several sinar shutters, the f4 and 5.6 auto aperture shutters and the expolux system. I have never had issues with any of them. Then again I bought all of them new and I always take good care of my gear. They are complicated devices and if they are abused or treated roughly they can break. I'm sure in any major city that has camera repair services the shutters can be repaired, if not they can always be sent back to Sinar for service.

Even if I had Brian's clients I doubt I would buy new Sinar (or Linhof) anything because you can buy several mint shutters for the price of a new one (and the same goes for the entire product line.) (Arca was smart business-wise and changed their design so the old stuff doesn't work forward -- sharp business people that those guys are.)

I had a Sinar Shutter set up on two previous cameras, with the thought that I could use cheap old brass lenses and buy high quality modern lenses in DB mounts whenever bargains presented themselves. However, you have some issues unique to the shutter that you may only discover once you purchase one -- you have to allow for the rear end of the lens to "clear" the shutter -- this can be simple or complex depending on the lens. You also have to use proprietary long throw $100 cable releases. Setting up the auto aperature feature is a PITA especially with a non-Sinar system so most people avoid it. And while the shutters are durable and reliable, most of the studio photographers I know who used them had a back-up, since if it fails your barrel lens line-up is useless.

It's a nice system but it can get busy. A lot of photographers use simpler and less expensive Packard shutters to do the same thing.

The ultimate set-up is the get the Luc locking iris lens mount -- then you can throw any old lens onto the camera and really play ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Even if I had Brian's clients I doubt I would buy new Sinar (or Linhof) anything because you can buy several mint shutters for the price of a new one (and the same goes for the entire product line.) (Arca was smart business-wise and changed their design so the old stuff doesn't work forward -- sharp business people that those guys are.)
    Frank when I bought all my Sinar stuff there really wasn't an eBay to speak of and digital was in it's infancy so if you wanted Sinar you most likely bought new. If you buy a used shutter now I'd suggest sending them in for a CLA or at least budgeting for a CLA.

I got mine used, from Igor's Camera Exchange, and as the saying goes, "You'll have to pry it away from my cold dead hands". It stays on my camera at all times. The money I have saved by not having to mount each of my vintage lenses in its own shutter, is gratifying.

As Frank points out, you need to make sure that your lenses don't extend too far backwards, and thus interfere with the operation of the shutter. In the case of my vintage 360mm Heliar, a small spacer ring was required, but that inconvenience is nothing, compared to the fact that I can now shoot that wonderful lens - and any others - with modern accurate shutter speeds from 1/60 to 8 seconds.

This portrait was made with an old 210mm Heliar, which is in an old shutter - but I prefer to use the newer Sinar shutter. Besides, the Sinar shutter is self-cocking: no more lost shots due to forgetting to cock the shutter. That's a nice feature when shooting portraits.

This botanical image was made with the same 210mm lens, and here, the precise long exposure capability came in quite handy.

I've had two of the green Norma Shutters for twenty years, never had a single issue, ever. They are great.
    I'll never sell them.