Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Life and Vitality of the Film Market

Re: The Life and Vitality of the Film Market

Just a comical sidenote to this discussion. Two nights ago the phone rang while I was in developing film. My wife answered and it was a solicitor. She told him I couldn't come to the phone as I was in the darkroom. He asked - "what's a darkroom?" A question that probably 90% of the poulation would have asked. I keep getting reminded what a small fraternity we all belong to.
    Tim

Well I have to say there are still concerns if a dept. wants to keep a fully wet darkroom program alive... 35mm film cameras are getting more rare with students who are starting or dabbling in photography.

A couple of years back, we bought Canon Digital Rebel XT cameras to enable students to take the intro to digi-photo class. This year we had to find about 15-20 35mm (film) manual exposure cameras to get the same classification (non-majors) of students into the wet b&w intro class. The huge switch to DSLR caught us off guard. I guess everybody cleaned out the closet/basement and sold their cameras on ebay.

So, my new worry is finding and maintaining enough film cameras to supply students. I'm somewhat lucky in that we are one of only a few area schools with a four year program that is wet and digital. So for those yearning to go wet... we're here to serve.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Actually, the mellowing of the hysteria that was happening a year or so age is nice -- our Dept Chair was fretting about cameras and paper being available in the future, etc.

Vaughn
    Last edited by Darryl Baird; 10-May-2008 at 06:06. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by climbabout View Post
    Just a comical sidenote to this discussion. Two nights ago the phone rang while I was in developing film. My wife answered and it was a solicitor. She told him I couldn't come to the phone as I was in the darkroom. He asked - "what's a darkroom?" A question that probably 90% of the poulation would have asked. I keep getting reminded what a small fraternity we all belong to.
    Tim
    Think of it this way: When you qualify someone as "repeating things like a broken record", those among us who were born after 1980 are highly unlikely to get it. Or at least 90% of them.

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    I've heard, second hand but from a very good source, that Fuji understands the life and vitality of the sheet film market and that it is a profit center for them.

Kodak has made a new commitment to the film market based on their study 18 months ago. This is showing up in the revised version of T-Max 400 and their interest in the ULF market.

Ilford is very committed to the film market as well.

Relax, shoot and enjoy. Film is here and will stay.

steve simmons
    www.viewcamera.com
    www.foto3-2008.com
    Doesn't surprise me at all. The "life" of the film market has it logic in the film characteristic and qualities. Film, like paper, will stay with us.

There may be a few freezers up for sale!

Excellent thread, could not agree more.

Prove the naysayers wrong: www.foto3-2008.com