Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dagor production pre post

dagor production pre post

hello friend please could you told me which are the best manufacture of dagor?

pre war berlin?
    post war american?

do you have a link of all years production?

some lens are 2xxxxxxx post war and some are 7xxxxxx pre war....i m very confusing...

many thanks

Re: dagor production pre post

The best Goerz serial number information that I know of is here on the front page of this site. I do know that Dagors were made for about 90 years by many different manufacturers. Which are the 'best' ones is a complicated question.There have been many discussions about Dagors on this site already, do a search and you'll find some facts and many opinions.

I have had several Dagors through th yeares. The best seem to have all been Goerz.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I have had several Dagors through th yeares. The best seem to have all been Goerz.
    Ahh... but which Goerz?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

O,K,. C.P. Goerz, Berlin, produced the Dagor lens from 1893 to 1926, when they became part of Zeiss-Ikon. Zeiss made lenses marked "Zeiss Goerz Dagor" up to WWII, using Zeiss serial numbers. True C.P. Goerz (Berlin) numbers stopped at Ca. 660000.

C.P. Goerz New York started U.S. production in 1899, according to Goerz literature. The post WWII lenses from Ca. 770000 and up were coated, and are well regarded.

Schneider-Kreuznach ended up with the rights to the Dagor and Artar names, and produced both; the last production Dagor being the 14" MC gold dot Dagor - a truly impressive lens (except for the restricted coverage).

Then, you have the Burke&James "Dagors"; remounted war booty glass that was sometimes good, but usually bad. They are ALWAYS marked " C.P. Goerz Berlin series III" as opposed to "serie III" on the real Berlin lenes. The serial# can be anything.

Which is best?? They go for cult prices all too often. Your best bet is likely the Goerz N. Y. post war (coated), but pre gold dot/ gold rim production.

My late 30cm Berlin Dagor is excellent, as is my pre WWI 9 1/2" N.Y. Dagor. Neither are coated, but a compendium lens shade does wonders.

My 14" gold dot MC is just lovely. 8x10 transparencies shot with this lens are just incredible - contrast AND shadow detail!

If you're going to do people with it, I'd think you'd want an f:6.8 lens versus the f:8 Schneider, a f:9 process Dagor, or an f:11 process (Series IV) Dagor/Double Anasigmat. If you've decided on focal lengths of 12" or shorter, most of them are f:6.8 lenses. Longer ones were f:7.7 as a general rule.

If I were you, I'd go for a late coated Dagor, non-Golden or Gold Dot if you want to save money, or a Golden or Gold Dot just from the standpoint that they are the latest versions and finding one in good shape may be easier, but be prepared to pay $1,200 - 1,500 US dollars for a nice specimen in 12" focal length. There's an old "rule" that lenses with 6-digit serials starting with 77 and up were manufactured with better quality control, so for what it's worth, there it is. I also believe that the Golden and Gold Dot versions were not manufactured in lengths over 12".

My experience generally follows that of the above poster (EVH) except that I found the 14" Schneider Dagors and Trigors rather flare prone and without the coverage of their earlier siblings.

Cheers,

Steve

For maximum coverage I would go with older Dagors, say from the 1910s and 1920s. Many older 12" Dagors of that period will cover 12X20, while most 14" Dagors from the 1940s and 50s will not.

However, if maximum coverage is not an issue I would go with a late coated Goerz America Dagor, or one of the last multi-coated Kern Dagors.

BTW, some of the early G-Clarons are coated, and are really Dagors in design. These are the best value Dagors on the market in my opinion. I bought one of these a few years ago from Jim Gali and it is a great performer.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley View Post
    If you're going to do people with it, I'd think you'd want an f:6.8 lens versus the f:8 Schneider, a f:9 process Dagor, or an f:11 process (Series IV) Dagor/Double Anasigmat. If you've decided on focal lengths of 12" or shorter, most of them are f:6.8 lenses. Longer ones were f:7.7 as a general rule.

If I were you, I'd go for a late coated Dagor, non-Golden or Gold Dot if you want to save money, or a Golden or Gold Dot just from the standpoint that they are the latest versions and finding one in good shape may be easier, but be prepared to pay $1,200 - 1,500 US dollars for a nice specimen in 12" focal length. There's an old "rule" that lenses with 6-digit serials starting with 77 and up were manufactured with better quality control, so for what it's worth, there it is. I also believe that the Golden and Gold Dot versions were not manufactured in lengths over 12".

My experience generally follows that of the above poster (EVH) except that I found the 14" Schneider Dagors and Trigors rather flare prone and without the coverage of their earlier siblings.

Cheers,

Steve
    Mr Hamley;

I've heard the same about the Schneider/Kern Dagors. I've also heard they are unsharp. I wonder were there QC issues? I've used just the one I have, and flare is certainly not an issue - nor is sharpness. Then again, I use a compendium shade on all lenses on that camera. I'll try it without the shade. The coverage certainly lacks.

Which version of the Kern did you have? I'm interested in your experiences with this lens. I bought mine because it was the cheapest coated lens of that focal length in a modern synched shutter I could find.... Needed it for a job, and I wanted the "last" Dagor.

Andrew, thank you for asking y'r question and directing my attention to Steve's post.

I'm more than willing to believe your (plural, Steve and Andrew) observations that late Dagors have less coverage than early ones, but it isn't clear whether you're reporting your own on-film results or folklore. Which is it, please?

I ask because it isn't clear and because, idiot that I am, I have trouble understanding why much the same design should lose coverage over the years. I can understand that ancient lenses shot on ancient emulsions might seem softer than the same lenses shot on modern emulsions and can see how that would lead to the conclusion that way back when they covered more. Otherwise I'm stumped.

Oh, and by the way, Eric Beltrando, whom I respect highly, estimates that ancient Dagors have rather less coverage than any of us would like to believe. See http://www.dioptrique.info/base/n/n_dagor.htm . He also did the same calculations for a couple of versions of Boyer's Beryl, a double anastigmat much like the Dagor. He and I have discussed coverage issues; he's advised me not to trust my 210/7.7 Beryl S or 210/6.8 Beryl for more than 70 degrees in general use, 50 degrees for really stringent applications. Boyer's propaganda, always optimistic, claims 85 degrees for these lenses.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan and EVH,

I've owned a single coated Schneider (Kern) 14" GDD in shutter, a 14" Blue Dot Schneider (Kern) Trigor in shutter, and I've tried a borrowed 14" Schneider Blue Dot Trigor in barrel, also Kern.

The 14" GDD was IMO soft at least wide open, and flared very badly even with a slip-on shade pointed into the light - or the "hat"/darkslide shade, even on 4x5 much worse than other lenses. Both these lenses had front glass elements very close to the edge of the cell rim, and I've often wondered if that was the cause. I believe a compendium would be necessary for the 14" GDD I had.

The Trigors were sharper, although I did not shoot resolution charts. I don't think I ever tried the 14" GDD on the 8x20 (I don't think I had the 8x20 at the time) but the 14" Blue dot Trigors would barely cover, and I never shot 8x20 film with either Trigor before I sold/returned them. Minimal rise would vignette on 8x20, and I'd suspect the corners would not be as sharp as maybe one would desire. The Trigors also flared badly, so I sold the one I had. Now I use a 360mm Kowa mounted in a Compur #2 on 4x5, and a 360mm f:9 WA Apo NIkkor on the 8x20. The Nikkor has a quite deeply recessed front glass and performs much better flare-wise.

Before I sold the GDD and Trigor, I spoke with a knowledgeable dealer and he told me that he believed the Kern lenses were softer and had less coverage, which agreed with my observations at the time. He said he would prefer a Goerz American Optical Dagor, and that also agrees with my experience with GAO Dagors.

FYI, A friend of mine had a multicoated Schneider Kern Dagor and liked it very much.

In contrast with the Kerns I had, I have a 14" f:7.7 Goerz Double Anastigmat (Berlin) that seems to illuminate 8x20 with all or nearly all the rise the Korona can muster, and it seems reasonably sharp. I suspect, but don't know, that it will illuminate 12x20. I just got the lens 2-3 weeks ago and have it taped to a lensboard and so have not had it in the field yet for fear of tape failure, and other reasons (below). My impression is that the very early Dagors are not as sharp (certainly not as contrasty) as later coated ones (no surprise here), but they "cover" far more depending on how particular you are. If you're really particular, forget the Dagor and get a 14" f:9 WA Apo Nikkor the or a 355mm G-Claron. I have shot under field conditions on 8x20 with the WA Apo Nikkor and it leaves absolutely nothing to be desired. Very, very sharp out to the edges and superior to the 14" Dagor which also agrees with Andrew G's (posting as C.P. Goerz) comments on a previous thread on 8x20 lenses. Now, to the contrary, I've seen pictures shot in the studio with a 1911 vintage 16-1/2" f7.7 Dagor that you'd swear was shot with a modern lens. It was the favorite lens of the commercial photographer I bought it from, and it was certainly sharp and contrasty enough for him to make a living with for many decades.

FYI, I started remodeling in June 2007 and have yet to get a darkroom capable of processing 8x20 standing up going (not done yet), hence my slowness in getting some of my lens testing done. I'm afraid my knees won't take the bathroom floor anymore.

Cheers,

Steve