Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dedolights for portraits?

dedolights for portraits?

hi,

i'm wondering if the dlh4 dedolights are worth getting compared to something like the arri 650w or 150w lights? am i better off getting the arris and saving that money for something else?

i was thinking about getting 4 dedolights (key, fill, kicker, background) for a full kit for portraiture for doing 3/4 shots and close up head and shoulder shots. can both type of lights work in a small 2-car garage environment?

thanks for any insight!

Re: dedolights for portraits?

Without knowing what format/film you are using, here's my 2cents. Dedolights are very nice units with features other units don't have but i think they are better sources for your uses. You might be better off with an arri or mole 650 and an arri or mole 1k soft lite for fill and smaller units for the rest. I've used just about every hot light out there at one point but i've never seen a dedo used as a key light. They are sometimes used for a eye light but mostly for accent lighting, at least in the motion picture world. Typically bigger sources that wrap around the subject are preferred. Either a bounced source or a larger faced unit through a large piece of diffusion (4-12 feet) or both. Your style may differ but the larger units can be scrimmed down if you've got too much light.

vinny

You might check on APUG. If I remember correctly, there was a thread on using Dedo lights for portraiture there.

thanks for the reply. i will be shooting 4x5 and 8x10 film.

so those dedolights are not typically used for key lights? is that because they're not powerful enough to light the entire body or wrap around it and only a small portion of it? that is my concern that the dedolights are not strong enough or bright enough to be used as a key light.

i posted this thread question there too and searched both sites for info but i didn't get enough.

thanks again!

FWIW, I think you'd be disappointed in the output when used as primary lights. They're great for accent lights for product photography and such, but I don't think they are suitable for general portraiture.

The typical decision tug-of-war is between "hot" lights and studio strobes. My preference leans toward strobes, due to greater flexibility in exposure and being easier on the subject.

whoops doubled up somehow!

I have the little Dedos and I think they are amazingly great but they are definitely not all purpose key lights. Dedo light quality and control is first rate. They are very expensive, and very much worth it if you need what they do. I have the DLHM-4-300 models with the integrated power supply. I've also rented the standard model with power pack controls but prefer the integrated version. Light quality is the same, I find the integrated units easier to use for my purposes as I can move them farther apart than the power pack version, but either will work for you I think.

If I were you I'd buy 2-3 nice monolight strobes (I like White Lightnings) and light boxes, and a couple of Dedos (add the dichro fliters to balance to daylight with minimum light loss if you're shooting color). You'll have plenty of power and broad light from the strobes and boxes and the Dedos will fill and accent at reasonable apertures and shutter speeds. Dedo's variable power can be very good for something like a barely glowing light puddle filling someones face or a little edge or hair light you can see and control easily. But think about how you will work to see if the Dedos will be powerful enough for your purpose. If its f64 you're not going to be happy with Dedos for anything that might move (like a human).

Here is the Dedo light page: http://www.dedolight.com/100series.html
    And White Lightning: http://www.white-lightning.com/x1600.html

thanks for the responses everyone. from what i've heard so far, it seems like the dedolights won't be that great as the primary key/fill lights for portraits. in that case, i will get other fresnels for these. and as for strobes, i would like to try my hand with hot lights for a while before i figure which i like better between strobes and hot lights.

thanks again!

As far as the slightly larger lights go, I much prefer the Dedo 650 to the plain fresnels like the Arri Junior. The Dedo 650 is probably my favourite light because of its controllability and versatility.

Best,
    Helen

I have two of the DLH4 lights and a DP1 projector.

When it comes to portraiture, I think that the DLH4 lights will work for highly stylized effects, but they are certainly not general fill lights.

However, I think that if you added the 650w, you might have a very interesting combination for portraiture. It's really a question of what conclusions you come to when you have a look at the output of the 650w in comparison to a somewhat more powerful Arri. The efficiency of the DLH4 is less pronounced with the 650w. You really need to look at the numbers. Better yet, go to a dealer and see for yourself what the Dedolights can and can't do.

If you buy these lights, think carefully about whether you want integrated or separate power supplies. Mr. Ambrose prefers the former, I prefer the latter. The integrated lights appear to be more common, especially at rental houses, but I am told that this is because it simplifies the job of the grips on a film set.

As others have pointed out, these lights are expensive. That's another consideration. They sure are nice to work with, but do you really need them/can you justify them?