Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wide Angle Questions?

Wide Angle Questions?

Being a relative noob to LF, I want to add a wide angle lens as my next lens. I've found a used Schneider 80mm XL and a used Nikkor 90mm. My preference is to the Schneider, but will I really notice that much difference between the two? I could probably come close to buying two lenses for the price of the Schneider. But I suspect, the 80mm XL would be very sharp, and has a reasonably large image circle. I know Kerry Thalman put the Nikkor on his future classics list.
    All opinions and help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Wide Angle Questions?

Which Nikon? The F/8 or the faster one? The advantage of the F/8 Nikon is it's got lots of coverage and is smaller. When you compare the F/8 Nikon with the F/4.5 you get I think 67mm filters and similar coverage. The competing F/8 90mm have less coverage.

What will you be photographing? What other lenses do you have?

If we knew this info we could be more helpful.

steve simmons

Although there is only a 10mm difference in the focal length, I think you'll find the difference more noticeable at this end of the spectrum than you would with longer lenses.

My suggestion would be to compare size, weight, and coverage stats to see which lens will better match your personal shooting style and the type of work you do. (There are comparison lists linked from the Home Page here.)

If it is the 90/8 Nikkor you're considering, there is also the issue of brightness of the GG image during focusing and composition to consider. I started with the 90/8 and found it too dark for my eyes unless I spent an extra few minutes under the dark cloth for my eyes to adjust. So, I switched to the 90/5.6 SA XL.

Eric Woodbury

Also think about the spacing of lenses, especially if there is an even wider angle in your future. Nice thing about the 80mm is that you can always crop it to look like a 90mm.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Thanks for responding. Steve, I primarily shoot landscapes. When shooting digital, my primary lens was a 12-24 zoom. I was considering the Nikkor 90mm f/4.5, thinking it would be brighter on the GG than the f/8. I currently have a Nikkor 150mm as my "normal" lens). After acquiring a wide angle, I'll probably look for a 240mm Fuji. Thanks again for all of the helpful comments.

Another consideration... will your camera's bellows compress enough to allow the 80mm to focus at infinity? It could be tight, whereas most any 4x5 can handle a 90mm. I use the 90/8 Nikkor-SW; it's a fine lens and I have no trouble viewing or focusing with it. Actually Mr. Thalmann should update his website; as Nikon no longer makes LF lenses it has sadly moved from being a "future classic" to just being a "classic'.

The 80 weighs 271 grams, the 90 f4.5 600 grams, if weight is a consideration for you.

The 90 f8 is 360 grams. I have the 90 f8 and don't have a problem focussing, but if it is near dusk I do have to wait for my eyes to adjust, as Ralph mentioned.

To get the same perspective as the wide end of your 12-24 you need a 65mm, if your camera will focus that closely.

One thing that you might want to consider is the light fall off characteristics of these lenses. The Nikkor 90mm f8 wins here. Many using the 80mm XL with chromes find the need for a center filter - some don't.

..................Flange Distance........Image Circle

Nikkor..........97mm....................235mm
    90mm/f8

Schneider......84.7mm.................212mm
    80mm XL

Depending on where you are you will find the best answer is to rent a Nikon, a Schneider, a Rodenstock and a Fuji and compare them yourself. If you are near Phoenix, Rod at Photomart has actual comparison chromes of them all that you could see.