Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Latub for laborator 138

Latub for laborator 138

Hello everybody1

for enlarging 35 mm negs on my Durst 138 I am looking for one of the dreaded LATUB lens mounts.
    I use the older 138 modell with the fixed TRIPLA.
    Ha anybody, preverably over here in Europe, a spare LATUB that will work with my Minolta 2.8/50 (a stunning lens btw) and who wants to sell it to me?

The other bit is that the head I am using is a Super Chromega E Dichroic 2 with a 250 w Halogen Lamp. Exposures can get a bit long using the not so good 80/5.6 at 11. Its great for 4x5 but is not that bright using a 80mm for the 35 mm negs.

Is it a good idea to use the laborator with the dichroic head for 35mm as well? I have two other enlargerds for "miniature format" as it once was called, but I would like to reduce the gear and just keep one (of my now 4) enlargers. And the 138 is just a great piece of gear!

Any comments welcome,
    Cheers, Michael

PS: ah: and i am also on the hunt for a LATUB 58...

Re: Latub for laborator 138

does it say "latub" on it?

I have a fair amount of Durst 138's.. (at least 3), and I have never used 35mm on it so I could take a look...

But I heed to know what I am looking for (image?)

Hi Gandolfi that is graet! Three 138's is quite something...

Sorry, I don't have a photo of the LATUB and the information about it is quite sparce on the net... it should look like a recesssed lensboard (LAPLA), has to be at least 50 mm recessed with a sort of tube coming out of the back and a 39mm thread in this "tube". There are also lensboards which are tubes to make the distance of the lens to the negative longer, they seem to get mixed up quite often.

Thanks for looking! Cheers Michael

For pictures of a LATUB, go here: http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/prola.htm

Note: Old Durst lensboards come in two flavours: 39mm and 25mm. Determine the thread size on your enlarging lens before you buy a lensboard sight-unseen. I had a heck of a time finding a lens to fit the board on my old M600; I'd transferred the 50mm over to my 138S, which had the same thread for its lensboards.

Cheers,
    \donw

Don: thanks for that link.

I found a tube, called LATUB - I can't find other writings on it.
    the thread is 39mm (roghly mesured) and it is about 60mm deep.

Looking at the images at the link, it seems I also have a LATUB 15, 20, 25, 30, 40...

which one it doesn't say.
    what does the numbers refer to?

Smile Re: Latub for laborator 138

Thanks Don for the link! That clears the fog... finally a source for the description of all those funny Ikea-like names Durst liked to give.
    Although - this vendor has got some ridicolous prices on his site, in my opinion.

Gandolfi, thanks for looking, that seems like the right one - the 60mm. As far as I understnd it these LATUBs came in all sort of heights - as far as my research goes I need a fairly deep recessed one for a 50mm lens on the old TRIPLA.
    Now the obvious qusetion: do you want to get rid of that little tube? If you want to send me a PM: m(at)michaelschultze.de - we can use Paypal if you like. Would be really super if we could work out something...

I really like this forum, a source of all kind of help. Accesorising is quite a hunt nowadays... I am still looking for a LAPLA lensboard with a 58mm thread for my lovely new Rodagon R (see my other thread)
    Cheers

The shorter lens will bring your enlarger head down closer but the exposure times won't come down unless you are going to use f4 or greater on the Rokkor. At f4 it should be reasonably sharp at the edges (assuming not a huge magnification) but there will be a hot spot in the middle. If you burn the edges it should be ok. In the long run, you may prefer the prints made with the 80.

In fact, being able to use an 80mm for 35mm enlargement is one of the advantages of the big floor-standing enlargers.

What you really need is not a shorter lens but a smaller mixing (light amplification) box for the Chromega E. (EB Light Multiplier)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...plier_for.html

In terms of using the 'big enlarger' for 35mm, last week I did some tests comparing my 8x10 Durst to an Omega D series 4x5 to enlarge a 35mm negative up to 16x20.

OMEGA 4x5 D5500 (250w), 35mm mixing box, glass carrier, 45mm High Mag APO Componon at f8

vs

DURST 8x10 CLS2000 (2000W), 6x9cm mixing box, glass carrier, 80mm Componon-S at f8 in HOTUB (8x10 version of the LATUB)

The Durst was over one stop faster (measured with a darkroom baseboard exposure meter)

HOWEVER, I still found it much easer to use the smaller 4x5 enlarger for 35mm. The ease of use makes up for the extra time needed for the exposure.

Andrew

The SEIMAR also works for 50mm lenses on the 138. These seem to be slightly more common than the LATUB.

Another alternative is to use an 80mm lens (along with the associated condensers). For this, you only need a SEIPLA lens board, which is easier to find (a SETOPLA also might work for some lenses).

I can get enlargements up to 16" x 20" using the 80mm lens for 35mm. I also find this configuration more comfortable to work with anyway because it gives more clearance between the head and the baseboard.

Cheers,

-andrew

You are maybe right, maybe it is better to look out for a good 2.8 80mm lens which performs well at 5.6 (thats where the Rokkor is mighty fine for 35mm work). Any suggestions on this topic? - Although that would ad another lens to my parade..

I have that Chromega D Dichroic head attached to the Durst, so no kondensor swapping works here. I really like the Dichroic head for 4x5 negatives, even illumination and comfortable to use with Multigrade papers. But with my old Metall barrel 5.6/80 Rodagon I need to close down to 11 to get it sharp, yesterday I had 90 sec. exposures for a 24 x 30 cm print (closed down to 11)... which is far too long for my nervous character that would be 22sec. at 5.6 - good enough then.

Tricky decissions. Well, still in for that mighty Latub I guess. Or a new lens?

mhmm..