View Poll Results: What is your tripod material?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aluminum

50 35.71%
  • Carbon Fiber

57 40.71%
  • Magnesium

0 0%
  • Other Composite

0 0%
  • Titanium

0 0%
  • Wood

33 23.57%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is you tripod material?

Lascassas, TN

What is you tripod material?

I was shooting in a stream bed last weekend with my aluminum Gitzo sitting in the water. I was concerned about damage and the effect on the leg’s twist lock.

Would a different material serve better?

What is your tripod material?
    Bill Kumpf

Re: What is you tripod material?

My aluminium tripods have been in water many times over the past 30+ years, including the sea, and none have suffered any adverse affect. In fact you can't tell.

Ian

Preston Birdwell

I haven't had any problems with my aluminum tripods either. If it is exposed to brackish water (in my case-Mono Lake) I rinse it off after use. Aluminum will corrode over time if the minerals are not washed off. I am also careful to keep the joints clean.

-PB
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I use both alumin(i)um and wooden tripods actually and so far I have resisted temptation of carbon fiber

Your poll is not quite right. No one makes tripods from magnesium. They make some castings from magnesium on some tripods. Those tripods could be aluminum, carbon, basalt (lava) or wood with magnesium castings. Those castings will reduce the weight of the casting about 30% over aluminum castings but cost almost 30% more because of the magnesium. But the tripod itself is not magnesium.

Same for titanium. No one is making a complete tripod from titanium.

I only use carbon fiber tripods (Gitzo G1548 for heavy gear and very long lenses - mostly wildlife, G1348 for general use, landscapes and wildlife, G1228 for landscapes when hiking longer distances).

They have been in the water many times, including the sea. Back home, I rinse the legs if they have been in salt water, completely extend the tripod and let it dry for a day or two.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I built a Walnut tripod a while ago. I'm redoing it right now due to a disaster. You can read about it in a separate post. My fault all the way. The tripod is very sturdy and holds up well in water of all sorts.

Jim

I do like my Ries wood pod. It takes a real beating without breaking, bending, etc. I would have trashed a metal pod by now (or at least would have had to replace legs that dented and no longer telescoped.) Granted, I am rough on my pod -- it is also a cross-country/rough ground hiking-assist device. I use it to take part of my weight...240lbs...to protect my knees when letting myself down rocks, etc). I have also taken a few falls when I have slipped or lost balance with the 45-50 pounds on my back has thrown me off a bit.

That said, I had a 300 series Gitzo (for 5x7) that I really like, too. I broke a leg (pod, not mine -- the threaded portion of the twist lock at the bottom of the leg snapped off ) and it was replaced for free -- and they (B&H) also tossed in a new set of washers for the twist locks for free when I asked. Periotic cleaning kept the twist locks working fine.

Vaughn

I've used my G1410 in brackish fresh water as well as salt water - with a good rinse and a day or so to dry fully extended, I've never had a problem.

I plan on picking up the GT-3540LS to use for backpacking - which is like less than half the weight of the 1410.

My main tripod is wood but I also have a metal one for my big camera.