Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Field camera Movements - Reading Recommendations

Field camera Movements - Reading Recommendations

Hi,

I'm enjoying getting to grips with my Toyo Field 45A. Results from using its movements are a bit hit and miss at the moment!

I would value some reading recommendations - books or sites that might give me some guidance on using the cameras movements. I understand what the camera does in terms of movements. What I'm really after is some more detailed guidance on what I can use the movements for and what results they have.

thanks

Re: Field camera Movements - Reading Recommendations

The Camera by Ansel Adams is a good starter book. It will give you the fundamentals of how and why in camera movements. This is probably the best site to get specific questions answered about large format. What I have garnered over the years as to the purpose of the movements is: have your back parallel to the work and lens tilted enough to the intersecting planes enough to maximize your focus. All other movements are done to exaggerate different effects. Which you will see in your view finder.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Here are three books I usualy recommend.

Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga
    User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone
    Using the View Camera that I wrote.

Try your library.

I generally use the back swing and tilt for shape and size relationship adjustments and the front swing and tilt for focus - to more closely align the plane of focus with the plane of the subject.

Rise and fall and shift, front or rear, are tools to help you select which part of the image circle you want to record onto the film.

steve simmons

I really appreciated the article about the view camera, field and movements in a former issue of View Camera. I don't remember the issue # (it was the one containing also an article on Roy Stryker's photograph's collections, if that is of any help), as it was very simply said and very "results oriented". It's after reading (again and again and again and...) that I started having a feeling about how I should tweak my field camera to achieve what I want.

Keith,

All of the books Steve has recommended will help you READ about it....but the best advice is (after some reading) get out there and use your camera, use your camera, use your camera.
    I was where you are almost 30 years ago and I can recall just how frustrating it was the first few times, but it's like riding a bike... after the first few times it just becomes second nature.

Have Fun!

John

I really appreciated the article about the view camera, field and movements in a former issue of View Camera. I don't remember the issue # (it was the one containing also an article on Roy Stryker's photograph's collections, if that is of any help), as it was very simply said and very "results oriented". It's after reading (again and again and again and...) that I started having a feeling about how I should tweak my field camera to achieve what I want.

January 07 was the issue date.

We have put this article up in the Free Articles section of the View Camera web site

www.viewcamera.com

It is called
    Field Camera Movements.pdf

steve simmons
    Last edited by steve simmons; 7-May-2008 at 08:39.

Hi, Keith.

If you can somehow find a copy of the old Zone VI catalog from the eighties, there is a comprehensive section on all movements and their effect from that camera. Most field cameras seem to share many basic traits, so this information may help with your questions.

Good luck.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Go Mr. Simmons one further and try the front and rear swings and tilts, and each time you try something, make a negative or a Polaroid of each variation and compare them. If rear tilt makes things loom, how much compared to front tilt? Two pictures and you know the answer forever. Four pictures in total. A few minutes of time. A good investment.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

The exhaustive building block examples in the Steve Simmons book helped me to understand view camera movements when I was first starting out - these photos in conjunction with the naked Arca-Swiss illustrations in the Dykinga will serve you well.

The best book to learn about camera movements is "View Camera Technique" by Leslie Stroebel.