Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 210 opinions ...

210 opinions ...

I've ended up with two, very nice 210mm lenses. One will end up for sale, and one I will keep. As I am still in the learning stage, I've yet to shoot any film (except a couple of very old Polaroids just to play) I don't have any real world knowledge of either - except reputations, of which both are very good.

What I have is the 6.3 Computar Symmetrigon and the 5.6 Caltar (a Schneider lens I believe).

Both look new, but just wondering which one the folks here would keep ...

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: 210 opinions ...

Both

Neither

-)

What format? How are you using them?

I don't think either is tiny so a hiker might want something different. Does either cover 8x10? If not some one would want something different.

Looking nice is good but shoot a few sheets with each and see which one you like.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

I've never tried a Computar, but I have the Caltar-II-N (made by Rodenstock,same as an Apo sironar S) and it's a great lens- extremely sharp and contrasty- so I would definately keep it.
    Brian Vuillemenot

Ooops. Details.

4x5. For now, I'm just learning the ins and outs of large format so I'm not too worried about how the lens will be used. Both lenses are similar size, so I am mostly soliciting opinions of the two lenses from people who have used either one or both. I've read good about both, and frankly nothing bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_3536 View Post
    Both

Neither

-)

What format? How are you using them?

I don't think either is tiny so a hiker might want something different. Does either cover 8x10? If not some one would want something different.

Looking nice is good but shoot a few sheets with each and see which one you like.

Under scrutiny you would find the Caltar will cover a wider field for movements and also stay much sharper farther into the corners than the Computar will. Both are fine competent lenses but that is the difference. The Caltar is a Plasmat design. I believe the Computar is a very good tessar design? Not completely sure on that.

I had a 6.3 Computar Symmetrigon -- one of the sharpest lenses I have ever owned (judging from 5x7 contact prints and comparing them to my 8x10 contact prints from a 300 Fuji W, a 19"RD Artar and a 210 Wollie Graphc Raptar).

It will cover 5x7 with plenty of movements -- but not 8x10. The screw-on metal lens shades they came with are nice, also. The 6.3 Computar Symmetrigon and the 5x7 camera left me involunteerily a decade or so ago, so I have a bit of a bias for the lens.

So it sounds like you have two fine lenses...the 6.3 Computar Symmetrigon is a little less known, so you might get a better price for the Caltar.

Vaughn

That's a dubious test Vaughn You can't really compare contact prints to asses the quality of LF lenses.

Personally I'd keep the Caltar, which ever it is (re-badged) both the 210mm Symmar and Sironar are superb lenses.

Ian

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Vuillemenot View Post
    I've never tried a Computar, but I have the Caltar-II-N (made by Rodenstock,same as an Apo sironar S) and it's a great lens- extremely sharp and contrasty- so I would definately keep it.
    Oops, my mistake- it's the same as an Apo-Sironar-N, not "S". Still a fantastic lens, though, which can often be gotten for a pittance on the bay.
    Brian Vuillemenot

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Vuillemenot View Post
    Oops, my mistake- it's the same as an Apo-Sironar-N, not "S". Still a fantastic lens, though, which can often be gotten for a pittance on the bay.
    Was just wondering about that when I saw Brian posted the correction. The very recent Rodenstock apo sironar S lenses are supposed to be great new designs with better DOF ? The older apo-sironar N is excellent and rebadged as Caltar-2-N and also for Sinar.....have one and forgot the lettering....Apo Sinaron S ?
    Main point is that these lenses all have top multi coating and colour transmission.

That other older lens is probably single or double coated. I'd always go with Multicoating - consistently better colour and gradation.

You better get rid of the Symetrigon. Why don't you send it to me for a small fee? I wish I had never parted with the one I had when they first hit the market!
    Jim