Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Large Format Camera for a Newbie

Re: Which Large Format Camera for a Newbie

Unfortunatelly a camera is a personal choice and you have to use them before you "know" that it is the right camera for you. They are all a compromise.

Having said that, I used to own a Linhof TK45 and I loved the camera. I think Brian's review was more a personal dislike than failing of the camera. If you read the instructions, sit at home, put the camera on the tripod and pratice opening it and closing it a few times, you will see that there is nothing to it. On the field the camera is a joy to use.

I now have an Arca Swiss 8x10 and while the camera is damn near perfect for me as far as controls and ease of use, I am starting to doubt their reputation for quality.

I am with Frank on this, if you have the money to buy a quality camera, I would go with the Linhof or AS over the EBony.

I've had many cameras over the years, and the one constant is my Technikardan (my 1st camera). It's a masterful design, and you wouldn't go wrong with it. I spent 12 mos. investigating cameras before finally choosing the TK45, and I made the right choice (for me, that is).

I too had a fear of folding the bellows; in fact, the camera came shipped to me opened, as the store personnel (selling mostly 35mm and MF) were afraid of folding it also. However, once you practice a few times it's really a no-brainer, and shouldn't in any way bias anyone against the camera. In fact it's no more difficult than folding up a folding field camera, only different.

However, I think my experience is atypical; many people go through a few cameras before finding the one that suits their style, demand for ergonomics, and aesthetics. Unless you have strong reasons to do otherwise (as I did), I would buy an inexpensive 4x5, use it for a few months, and then make an informed decision as to what you really want in a camera.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by more photography View Post
    Hi

I am newbie to this wonderful forum - in the market for a large format, please can I have your experience on both, Pros and Cons and your advise, also experience with lenses as I am in the market for a couple to start with, I will be shooting landscapes, currently most of my photos on 35mm are between 20mm and 50mm.
    I am coming across from 35mm SLR.
    Regards and thanks.
    All excellent advise so far so I having recently made the same change in venue, would ask "What training in 35mm did you have? I took some course work at a local votech which provided the experience & the (large format) camera, lens, etc as well as teaching correct exposure & lab techniques. Community colleges are another source that provide less expensive means of acquiring experience
    besides finding others locally of similar interest.

Unlesds your budget is really unlimited, I'd suggest starting with a camera that is cheap and capable of teaching you a lot. That means a monorail because the inexpensive field cameras don't have full movements so cant demonstrate all the advantages of large format. I like the Calumet CC-400 series myself, but there are other possibilities.

If you buy carefully, after your first LF camera has made you aware of what features you like and what you hate, you can probably sell it for near what you paid for it and buy a forever camera. Or, maybe you'll buy a field camera, but still keep the monorail for studio use.

For my 1st view camera I chose the 5x7 format so I could get a decent sized contact print (no enlarger or special equipment needed), but a small enough film size to be easily managed/developed (cheap and easy to do in trays- again no special equipment needed), and small/light enough equipment to backpack it. I chose the Shen Hao HXZ57ATII and I love it. It's solid, light and has lots of bellows and movements. I don't know exactly what Ebony 4x5's go for, but I'm pretty sure it would be more $ than my camera. You can buy Shen Hao from Badger (the FCL version- less bellows and movement) or direct from Shen Hao via a PayPal account I read the Stone and Simmons books and thought they were quite useful. Lots of good info on the LF info pages too.

Tim