Thread: Hi from Bedfordshire UK

Cool Hi from Bedfordshire UK

I have been visiting this siote on and off for the last 3 months - reading all the very useful articles about LF photography.

Well I have been dabbling in and ouit of photography for the last 15 years, however more seriously in the last 2/3 years, when I made the switch to digital Canon 5D from Film SLR.

I have always loved the LF, the flexibility and movements it provides and above all it slows you down to think about composition, now I have more patience and care about qulaity rather than quantity.

Help please - I will add this to the camera section.

I am in the market for large format - I do like like Linhof Linhof Technikardan and Ebony 45SU, I am more in favour of teh Ebony.

Please guys I would appreciate your experience and advise, also adivse on Lenses may be two for starters.

The LF for landscape only.

Regards

Re: Hi from Bedfordshire UK

Hi, always glad to see a new LF convert in the UK!

Well you certainly couldn't go far wrong with an Ebony 45SU if you can afford one. A non folder is ideal for landscape work, much less faff setting up which all helps in quickly changing light conditions. They are heavy though, so if you're walking a long way you're going to need a good backpack!

Lens wise I'd recommend something between 110-135mm to begin with, the 4x5 format seems wider somehow than 35mm and my 135mm is probably the lens I use the most. It's good to have something a bit bigger to practice movement with, it's hard to focus the wider you get. I also use a 180mm quite often and even up to a 300mm for landscape work.

Eh up from Yorkshire!

Howdy from New Mexico, and welcome to the forum.

As a side note, if you haven't already discovered, you can edit your member profile via the "My Settings" link in the blue navigation bar. Under the "Edit Profile" menu selection, you can use the "Custom User Title" to add a line that will appear below your Member ID, such as a name by which you want people to address you.

Welcome aboard! A great start is getting a copy of Steve Simmons' book Using The View Camera.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Welcome aboard! A great start is getting a copy of Steve Simmons' book Using The View Camera.
    Thanks - it is on order with Amazon- look forward to reading it.