Thread: Question about Linhof Kardan Back/Ground Glass

Question about Linhof Kardan Back/Ground Glass

Hi,

I am new to large format photography and need a new ground glass for a Kardan Color 45s.

The current glass is 4"x5". Along each short edge are 2 notches to clear screws on the back. However, it seems like maybe the purpose of these screws is to set the spacing between the glass and the film holder.

My question is: Do i need a ground glass with notches along the short edge, or will a standard 4"x5" ground glass work? If the latter, how does one adjust these screws to obtain the proper offset?

Thanks,

Tyler Coen

Re: Question about Linhof Kardan Back/Ground Glass

Just call your local dealer or call Blazes Photo (the Canadian Linhof distributor) and order a replacement ground glass. Your camera uses the same one as the current Linhof cameras.

I have a 45s and a regular Satin Snow fit fine on mine.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Hi, Thank you for your response.

That is pretty amazing that new parts are still available for these cameras. It seems to be at least 40 years old.

Regarding these 4 set screws on the back, is adjustment of the ground glass usually needed, or is flush with the back all that is needed for standard film holders? This positioning must be one of the most critical for ensuring accuracy betweening focusing and the actual film plane.

Regards, Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Coen View Post
    Hi, Thank you for your response.

That is pretty amazing that new parts are still available for these cameras. It seems to be at least 40 years old.

Regarding these 4 set screws on the back, is adjustment of the ground glass usually needed, or is flush with the back all that is needed for standard film holders? This positioning must be one of the most critical for ensuring accuracy betweening focusing and the actual film plane.

Regards, Tyler
    Tyler,

Current Linhof Kardan accessories fit your camera. That means that any accessory that attaches directly to the front or rear standard is a current accessory. On the other hand any accessory that mounts directly to the rail of your camera is no longer available and has been out of production for more then 20 years.

The four screws adjust the shims that are supposed to sit on them to set the proper gg position. You do not and should not have to adjust them when you change the gg providing the gg is being replaced as they were set for. That means that if the shims were set for a fresnel between the gg and the lens and you are not putting the fresnel in that position the shims need to be reset. From your questions it sounds like you may be missing the shims. If so you need to contact the service center and arrange for them to replace them and reset the positioning of the gg. In the USA that would be Marflex.