Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 enlarger lens?

8x10 enlarger lens?

I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject of the best size and make of lens for my 8x10 enlarger and so far the only conclusion I've been able to come to is that I am totally confused. There seem to be many conflicting ideas out there from innumerable sources. If I'm going to be confused I'd rather all the information come from one site, just kidding. Seriously, this is the best forum out there and I've always gotten good advice. Thanks in advance for your help.

Tori

Re: 8x10 enlarger lens?

I used the APO Bessler (Rodenstock) 240mm lens that came with my enlarger for many years and was completely satisfied with it. Some people criticise this lens for having fewer elements than others and/or having an f:9 max aperture. Well, with an 8X10 cold light head, focusing was easy and the prints were sharp edge to edge. Regardless of whether the lens had enough elements it seemed to get the job done. These are very inexpensive used. I then started using the El-Nikkor 210mm lens for 5X7 and tried it was 8X10 and found that it worked great and I haven't used the Rodenstock since. The negative stage doesn't have to be up so high with the shorter lens, which makes the enlarger easier to align. The Nikkor lens is big in diameter and you will probably have to have a lens board custom drilled, which is not a big deal, and it is sometimes not possible to use swing arm filter holders due to the size of the lens. I get around that by putting VC sheet filters on top of the diffuser.

You know, of course, that you are going to get lots of different opinions and none of them agree?

A big consideration is how far it is to your ceiling! I use an Ilex 229mm Copy Paragon which IIRC cost me $35 (and no complaints!)
    A "classic" lens for 8x10 format would be a 10" Kodak Ektanon.
    In an ideal world the lens that I'd jump on if I had the chance (and the ceiling clearance) would be a 300mm Schneider Companon. I'm sure Rodenstock and Nikor have equivalant offerings.
    If your eyes can focus at f/9 you could used something like a 240mm G Claron "taking" lens (but it is too dim for me for use on the Elwood.)

Good luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John,
    I have a 300 componon (as well as 360), have yet to finish the enlarger though, shooting with it is pretty impressive.

erie

A lot depends on the size of your lensboard. You need a large board for some of these lenses. Also consider how you will be focusing if using a long lens and a grain magnifier. Will you be able to look into the eyepiece and still reach the focus knob or will you need a focus extension of some kind. Print size will factor in and if you will use the same enlarger for 5x7 and 4x5. I find that a 240 lens works fine for me with mostly 5x7 and the occasional 8x10. It also works OK for 8x10's from 4x5 but for larger 4x5's I use a 210 to help with the focus reach problem.

I also use a 240mm G-Claron. for enlarging 8x10. Focusing is no problem using a Peak grain magnifier. I have found this lens to be better than my 180 Componon for enlarging.
    Art

I use a 180mm Fuji
    I don't particularly like that it has no clickstops, but it saves height, is bright, and works very well, and I'm used to that shortcoming now. I print 6x17 negs to 40'' wide, among other things

A Componon 180 doesn't cover 10x8, the Componon 210 just about covers but vignettes the corners. However a 240mm G-Claron or Componon/Rodagon will cover.

Ian

300mm Rodagon works for me (tall ceiling, though). This lens is optimized for 4x enlargements. This works well with my enlarger as the baseboard is about 40 inches across. I don't use the 300mm Rodagon G as it is optimized for 20x enlargements (that would be 200 inches across! )

I have not tried the 240 G Claron for this but those who have are happy with it?