Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 8X10 Guys

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: 8X10 Guys

Kev, I for one love contact printing. With the right neg the process is very enjoyable. I have a stash of Azo and do 8x10 and 11x14 contacts. Love the simplicity. For the 8x20 I contact on graded paper. With the slow silver chloride paper I can open my Thomas safe light wide open and enjoy printing in the light. I love the look of the old lenses I have and for me this fits the process. When I take out the sharp glass it gets even better. Then again I've never had any of my 8x10 negs enlarged. If I did I may have to get a bigger apartment.

Jim

Kev, I have been shooting 8x10 for a little over a year now. The view is spectacular through the big glass. The contact prints are also spectacular in their own way, even at an 8x10 size. I only contact print. There is no problem dodging and burning. It is really no different than when doing so while enlarging. I actually use a 35mm enlarger for a light source and more importantly for using VC filters (I use a split grade printing process). The contact printing process is fairly easy to learn and make good prints. Just do it!

Kevin

i have been contract printing and it is great....BUT....i also have a n 8x10 enlarger, big paper and big trays. i do want to do some 8x10 enlarging for sure....just to do it! it has to be awesome. i have not set up the enlarger yet....but the day ius near.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    i have been contract printing and it is great....BUT....i also have a n 8x10 enlarger, big paper and big trays. i do want to do some 8x10 enlarging for sure....just to do it! it has to be awesome. i have not set up the enlarger yet....but the day ius near.

eddie
    Hmmm you have an 8X10 enlarger... I might have to make a trip to NY when I start shooting 8X10... j/k I wouldn't be that presumptuous. I have a copy camera that I want to try using to enlarge 8X10, as long as I can make it to 16X20 I think I'll be pretty much set.

Cheers folks....... looking forward to 8x10 contacts

kev

''We start by loving the toys we end by loving the art''

Quote Originally Posted by kev curry View Post
    But I'm just wondering how many of the 8X10 guys out there don't have an enlarger but are satisfied to 'only' do contact prints? I guess its a very personal question and maybe a bit of a silly one to ask, after all, time will tell....... but I'm just wondering?

Cheers
    kev
    I find that an enlargement of my 8x10 negs makes for more powerful images. There is something about portraiture when it is bigger (maybe because it seems more realistically sized, more like the real person) that adds power. I can only go to 20x24 in my darkroom at present but want to go even bigger with my 8x10 neg enlargements. A contact print thou beautiful tonally just does not speak to me on the same level as a larger print does, I need at minimum a 11x14 size print, the larger the better is my view.