Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8X10 Guys

Re: 8X10 Guys

I don't see much point in buying an 8x10 camera and all the related gear for the purpose of making darkroom enlargements unless you're going for really big prints, like something in the 32x40 range or up. If all you do is make darkroom enlargements in the 16x20 range you might as well use a 4x5 camera, there isn't any technical quality difference that I've ever been able to see between a 4x print from a 4x5 negative and a 2x print from an 8x10 negative (though I never tried a real side-by-side test).

Another alternative, which is the one I chose, was to make darkroom contact prints and scan and print digitally for enlargements on the rare occasions when I wanted an enlargement of an 8x10 negative. That way you don't tie up a lot of space (and money) in a darkroom setup for 8x10 enlargements but you still have the option of enlarging when you want to. But whatever you do, congratulations on your purchase, 8x10 is a great format and a real pleasure to use.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I have a horizontal 8x10 enlarger that I doubt I'll ever use again. It makes very nice enlargements, but I have the contact print bug. Also, I more and more find myself using vintage and home-made soft optics, and images from those lose some of their look in much of an enlargement, more so than "normal" negatives.

If I were enlarging to a good size print from sharp lenses, I thing 5x7 would be the way to go.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I've been shooting 8x10 for three years now and only contact print. I have a 4x5 enlarger if I feel the need to photograph something and enlarge it, but haven't really used it much in the past couple of years.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Kev,

With this range of answers we have pretty much given you what you already had, no answer at all, or the privlege to do anything you decide you want.

John

I've always been totally satisfied with the 810 contacts. So why the other day when I went to pick up my ATL 3000 and the guy had a lovely Chromega F did I buy it too. Another tool in the tool box I tell myself. But it hasn't yet progressed beyond a pile of parts upstairs.

If you shoot on 8x10" with a modern good quality lens and enlarge it 2x with a well aligned enlarger you get a print that can be compared to a 16x20 contact print only.
    No 4x enlargement from a 4x5" or a digital print comes close to that quality. I think
    Brian Ellis should make a "side by side test".

Ted Mishima

I haven't shot with my 8x10 in over a decade, but plan to do so. I'm not so concerned about making ultra large prints, but as mentioned above, the look an 8x10 camera can give, especially shooting wide open. I'm planning on learning the make contact prints via Van Dyke and eventually Platinum/Palladium. I can also always have scans done and print digitally...

Ted

just to add my perspective,
    I've shot 4*5 inch and am now shooting 8*10 inch,
    I like 8*10 much more. I do only portraits with big
    old lenses, and I love the tonality and the level of
    detail, with a 'soft' look.
    I also like the workflow with an 8*10 more,
    the interaction with the sitter changes, it is more
    a collaboration,

I scan my negative (800mb, PS does not like that),
    than print it with my epson 3800. Can it match a
    print? Probably not, but within my time-boundaries
    this is what can be done. I will go and make contact
    prints, and would like very much to do some enlargements,
    but time is the problem here. The prints, btw, look
    spectacular to my eyes, and match nothing I've ever
    seen coming of that printer.

regards

stefan

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by xmishx View Post
    I haven't shot with my 8x10 in over a decade, but plan to do so. I'm not so concerned about making ultra large prints, but as mentioned above, the look an 8x10 camera can give, especially shooting wide open...
    Funny, isn't it... for some the concern is in losing detail in enlarging, but for others, it's the soft images that don't depend on detail that really need the glow and tonalities of a contact print.

I've been making whole-plate sized enlargements from 4x5 negatives lately, and while they're lovely, I can tell they're not contact prints...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I'll be honest, I hate making contact prints. So I enlarge 8X10. And I agree with Gudmundur.