Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Wee-est of wee petzval's. 96mm on 4X5

Re: The Wee-est of wee petzval's. 96mm on 4X5

Quote Originally Posted by rippo View Post
    Jim, it appears on this forum that there are some people who will tell you're done wonderful work, no matter what you post.

I'm not that guy.

That said, I'll say that some of these work, and some don't. Vignetting like this can be very heavy handed, and I think it works best where the borders are darker anyway. So the vignette isn't so apparent, more like an extended darkening of the shadows. As Brian points out, the Nash kicks, er..."ash". The backhoe, "whitewashed grave" and "leaning cross" also seem a bit over the top, vignette-wise. "End of the line" and "Soiled Grave" totally work though. Perhaps it's because the full circle of the vignette isn't apparent? It can get pretty claustrophobic otherwise, and act as a barrier to the viewer (this viewer anyway). But "Nash" is firing on all cylinders, because the darkness, and the halo of light that curves with the roof of the car, create a feeling of impending vehicular doom.

Perhaps that's the secret to vignetting lenses. Match the curve with a real-world curve, and have it part of the composition.
    Thanks Matt. The Nash was a lucky find. It's convoluted shapes exacerbated by the lens spherical aberation just add up to a good picture. I had stopped to photograph it and was reminded of the pioneer cemetary just in the distance. You liked the same ones I did. This trip was more of an idea exploration than a slick finished product. These didn't generate many comments. I take that as a whole bunch of folks that had a look and didn't find much positive to comment on and so moved on. I'm guilty of that myself many times. I really do appreciate the critique. So many lenses, so little time I need to quit my day job and just play full time.

Jim I am with those who like the full circle shots...really adds a lot to the presentation in my opinion. Nice stuff.

Darkcloth Fumbler

Thanks Jim, for taking the comment in the spirit in which it was intended.

I used to worry that I was spending more time fiddling with 'new' lenses and cameras (read: old, ebay uglies, homemade etc) and doing test shots, than I was doing 'real' photography. But there's something about a test shot: no pressure, hey let's open this baby up (literally) and see what she can do! And oh, I'd better find something to shoot that isn't the same darn fountain/palm tree/birdhouse (add your most over-photographed backyard objects here). It's that lack of pressure to do 'real' photography, combined with the need to find something to shoot, that can yield some really nice images in the end.

So I applaud your constant testing of lenses. If it keeps you making photographs of any sort, than you're ahead of many people. And if it occasionally yields a superb image that you weren't expecting, then that's gravy.

That Nash is the best image I've seen from your 'test program' in a few months. So disregard the lack of comments...it means nothing. Perhaps viewers are still trying to find the words to describe their awe.

Also, you've shown me that I should reconsider some short lenses I have that I didn't think worth trying on 4x5, since they wouldn't cover. It might not matter. Especially if I can find appropriate round-edges subject matter.
    - matt haines

Business.
    Pleasure.