Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend a book on Alternative Processes

Re: Recommend a book on Alternative Processes

Spirits of Salts. A superb overview with lots of practical detail too.

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks for all the insights. Like all things photographic, I can see I am going to end up with more than one - maybe several .

-A

I've got another to recommend:

"Alternative Processes Condensed" subtitled "A Manual of Gum Dichromate and Other Contact Printing processes" by Christina Z. Anderson

This is pretty much "hands on" information. I keep my copy in the darkroom and pull it out when I have questions about a process I haven't done in awhile or when I feel like trying something new.

I also like Judy Seigel's "The World Journal of Post-Factory Photography". I think it is still available from Judy - a Google search may get you more info. If you are interested and unable to find contact information, let me know. I'm sure I can find it. There are nine volumes in the set, if I remember correctly - mine are in my studio and I'm too damned lazy to go look. It originally was a subscription magazine devoted to alt processes with articles by people who were currently working with them. Several members of this forum, including Sandy King, wrote for the Journal. It is a good read.

"Keepers Of The Light" is a must have and, thought I don't have Christopher James' book I have read several complementary reviews of his new edition and am planning on getting it.

If you are not now a member, you might like to join the "alt-photo-process" mail list. This puts you in contact with some of best working practitioners of various processes.

Dan
    Dan Williams
    Enumclaw WA

Quote Originally Posted by Anupam Basu View Post
    Thanks for all the insights. Like all things photographic, I can see I am going to end up with more than one - maybe several .

-A
    Yes, in my case anyhow. Have all of the ones mentioned - depends on what one is doing, each has it's own place, IMO. Current work is with plt/pld and gum-over plt/pld. Good luck and have a lot of fun, haven't found a process I don't consider fun yet.
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

For the aesthetics of the alt photo process "movement", check out Lyle Rexer's Photography's antiquarian avante-garde the new wave in old processes
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

(Still getting the hang of this site. Bare/bear with me.)

Oh, it's digital negatives you want?

Try Mark Nelsons ebook, "Precision Digital Negatives."

Master that and you'll be set for life for digital negatives.
    Also well done, and decent saleable results can be found using Ron Reeder/Brad Hinkels book, Digital Negatives. Marks system uses color negatives. Ron's/Brad's system uses QuadTone RIP. All require extensive testing, testing, testing to the point of crying on an hourly basis.

After using Dan Burkholder's book for years, I can no longer recommend it. Even though he was the first, a true pioneer, it's outdated, and he's not going to update it because of current better systems.

In any case, you're really need to absolutely master your technique before trying digital negatives. So many agro variables.

For an overview, The Keepers of Light is the hands down winner. Aftyer that, pick a process that you would want top try and get a book dedicated to that process. If you are nuts enough to choose Carbon Printing you will most likely want to go to a workshop to speed things along. Any of the alternative processes can be self taught, but how long it takes is really dependent on you. Have fune, there are a lot of great processes to try.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jarosz View Post
    For an overview, The Keepers of Light is the hands down winner. Aftyer that, pick a process that you would want top try and get a book dedicated to that process. If you are nuts enough to choose Carbon Printing you will most likely want to go to a workshop to speed things along. Any of the alternative processes can be self taught, but how long it takes is really dependent on you. Have fune, there are a lot of great processes to try.
    Christopher James' book is probably the best general reference available today. Keepers of the Light is quite dated now.

Carbon Printing can be self taught just as any other alternative process can be, though a workshop with Sandy King will get you started in the right direction.

Don

If you want specific information on Pt/Pd, I highly recommend the Arentz book. Some other books covering historical process seem to be incomplete in this area. It's out of print & expensive used, but available as a PDF from the author.

Beyond The Zone System is also likely required reading.