Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruise ship shooting

Cruise ship shooting

Just reviewed the old threads on shooting on cruise ships, but the question seemed to shooting the shore from the ship. I am more interested in shooting the ship itself. While engine vibration will still be an issue, movement should not be, in that you will be locked in sync with everything else moving. Any one had experience with this?

Re: Cruise ship shooting

Depends on the size of the ship. Larger ships you will rarely notice the vibration. Handheld shots where you can isolate yourself from the structure should work fine if the shutter speeds are on par. Larger ships may have photo labs on board for 35mm so you might be able to experiment and see what came out in time to retry if it doesn't work.

I've never taken a cruise, but my experience on ferries causes me to doubt that much of anything on a ship is ever vibrating "in sync" with anything else. Fast film/iso, wide angle lenses and perhaps flash where possible should help if the vibration is bad.

Use a wooden tripod to dampen vibration.

Bigger the ship the less you'll have a problem.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Never been on a cruise ship and never plan on being on one, after nine years at sea in the Navy I can't imagine spending my hard earned cash on going back. But to solve your worries about vibration I would put your tripod on some sponges if in fact you do feel any vibrations that you can see in the finder. I suspect that these cruise ships are a whole lot smoother than war ships. I never noticed any camera shakes when I shot missle shoots off of CLG's
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

I almost got a job on a cruise ship as a photographer but chickened out.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Use a Speed Graphic and shoot hand held.

Seriously. The vibrations are stronger than you realise, even on very large ships.

I'm sitting here on what could be equated with an extremely large ship stuck to the seafloor (an oil drilling platform), watching the wave patterns in my coffee cup. I don't notice the vibrations at all, but my coffee cup tells me they are present anyway.

I used a LF camera and a gitzo G320 (Aluminum) tripod on a cruise to Alaska. I never noticed vibrations from the engines showing in the final prints. Although, we were on one of the larger boats. My biggest problem was as soon as I brought out the camera I had a crowd of onlookers that crowded around and wanted to know what I was doing. It was often hard to focus on what I was doing. So, the on-board experience was not really conducive for good images. However, Denali, where we were headed, was fantastic.

Richard

> My biggest problem was as soon as I brought out the camera I had a crowd of onlookers that crowded around and wanted to know what I was doing.

My past experience is that there are not many folks on cruises who get up at dawn, so I figure I might get a chance to shoot then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    Use a Speed Graphic and shoot hand held.

Seriously. The vibrations are stronger than you realise, even on very large ships.

I'm sitting here on what could be equated with an extremely large ship stuck to the seafloor (an oil drilling platform), watching the wave patterns in my coffee cup. I don't notice the vibrations at all, but my coffee cup tells me they are present anyway.
    Ole, I've had Norwegian coffee and it's not the waves making the coffee in your cup vibrate, it's the caffeine!