Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weegee Idol

Weegee Idol

I'm starting to use my crown graphic for street photography, just wondering if anyone else is doing the same and what kind of results you got, plus any tricks or tips

Jimi

Re: Weegee Idol

There are a few threads on this topic. Try searching on "handheld" and you should turn up a couple.

I love Weegee's work, but I suspect it would be hard to emulate without flashbulbs. Maybe I'm wrong and speedlights will work?

To be a Weegee you need flashbulbs; also you must chew cigars; never bathe; never change your clothes; live in your car; and soup film in its trunk. Have fun.

I've used a Norman LH-2 head with a plain 5" reflector for the Weegee look. He used a larger reflector. It might be interesting to try to adapt one of the old reflectors. The Star Wars guys only want the handle, right?

Quote Originally Posted by John Cahill View Post
    To be a Weegee you need flashbulbs; also you must chew cigars; never bathe; never change your clothes; live in your car; and soup film in its trunk. Have fun.
    LOL. That sounds about right. Oh, and you may want a second hand police scanner.

Jimi I have always been a big fan of Weegee. I did a series of street stuff in medium format (mamiya 6 and, C330) with flash at night in 1999.

http://gerryyaum.com/street%20life.html

I liked doing that sort of photography alot, something special about wandering the streets of a major city at night looking for subject matter. I have decided to do a large format series in the same vain(shooting some of them in July this year).

Just purchased a Razzle 4x5 Polaroid conversion camera from Dean Jones, will use that camera with flash at night on the streets of Thailand. Will post some images later for everyone to see.

Weegee did some amazing work!

If you guys have never seen this movie, check it out. Many of Weegee's photos are used in the film (The Public Eye, with Joe Pesci as a Weegee clone)

http://imdb.com/title/tt0105187/

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Jimi I have always been a big fan of Weegee. I did a series of street stuff in medium format (mamiya 6 and, C330) with flash at night in 1999.

http://gerryyaum.com/street%20life.html

I liked doing that sort of photography alot, something special about wandering the streets of a major city at night looking for subject matter. I have decided to do a large format series in the same vain(shooting some of them in July this year).

Just purchased a Razzle 4x5 Polaroid conversion camera from Dean Jones, will use that camera with flash at night on the streets of Thailand. Will post some images later for everyone to see.

Weegee did some amazing work!
    nice shot!!!

Gerry great image.
    The "Weege look" , other than his eye, was also due to ortho film.