Thread: Timothy O'Sullivan book

Timothy O'Sullivan book

Could you advise me a good book about Timothy O'Sullivan landscapes ? I own and enjoy the two very good books "American frontiers" by Joel Snyder and "Era of exploration" by Naeff and Wood, both with good texts. I'm looking for something more complete, maybe not a "catalogue raisonné" as we say in french, but a well-printed book with more pictures by O'Sullivan.

Thank you.

Re: Timothy O'Sullivan book

i'd be interested to find out too what people recommend, i have "the photographic artifacts of timothy o'sullivan" by rick dingus, which is quite complete.

Timothy O'Sullivan, America's Forgotten Photographer, James D. Horan, Bonanza Books, 1966 -- the best one I've seen.

There's another one with a forward by Ansel Adams that is good too, I don't have it in front of me so can't give you specifics. I think it was an Aperture book.

Thank you for the titles.

The title I gave you has much more of his civil war work in it. The Adams-related one concentrated on his landscape work as part of exploratory expeditions in the west. Quite a number of his landscape photos look (in composition and printing) like modern landscape photos, which is one of remarkable things about him.

"T.H. O'Sullivan Photographer," by Beaumont and Nancy Newhall with an appreciation by Ansel Adams, George Eastman House with the Amon Carter Museum of Western Art, Rochester, NY 1966. A small softcover with 40 plates, but nicely done.

I think this not only a quality of O'Sullivan : one is often surprised by the modern look of many early photographs.

My question was first about O'Sullivan landscapes, but I'm also interested by Civil war photographers. I also take good titles !