Thread: leaky linhof bellows

leaky linhof bellows

my LinhofTK 4x5 bellows has several light leaks , mainly around the first and second pleats from the front. Are these repairable or is the only solution a new bellows? Has anyone had long term success at repair? thanks, Alan

Re: leaky linhof bellows

If there are just a couple pinholes but the overall condition of the bellows is good, then they could be repaired and continued to be used. If the bellows are just getting old, they are likely to continue to develop leaks and cause you endless grief.

I've found an excellent way to repair bellows is to use black "Puffy Paint" from a craft store. This is the type of paint that can be used to draw on a T-shirt. It is opaque and will remain flexible, since it's designed to be machine washable on clothing.

Just cut a q-tip in half, then use the hard end of the q-tip to apply a drop of the paint on the inside of the bellows.

Sheldon: thanks for the suggestion. Iwill try to find the paint you suggest, but my leaks are larger than pinholes, and there are quite a few of them . Alan

I had good luck on an old Kodak bellows using black Plastidip from Home Depot. I diluted it 15% with naphtha as someone on the list recommended and put on 2 thin coats with a brush favoring the holey areas a little. I let it dry several days before I closed the bellows.

Bostick & sullivan sells a very good bellows repair kit which works beautifully.

Bite the bullet and get it replaced. You're just asking for future trouble trying to repair a Linhof bellows.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    I had good luck on an old Kodak bellows using black Plastidip from Home Depot. I diluted it 15% with naphtha as someone on the list recommended and put on 2 thin coats with a brush favoring the holey areas a little. I let it dry several days before I closed the bellows.
    Its sold in the paint department, and comes in black and red. On a black set of bellows the repair is almost invisible. I would recommend this for pin holes and SMALL leaks any thing else replace the bellows.

yours: