Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 135mm Rodenstock Enlarging lens

135mm Rodenstock Enlarging lens

Hey,

I just bought a used, but unused, 135mm f5.6 Rodagon Rodenstock enlarging lens on eBay for a good price. The only problem is there are two very small scratches, one each on the front and rear elements.

I am wondering (without being able to readily test it at this moment) just how much image quality can be affected by the aproximately 1mm light scratch in the coating on the rear, and the .5mm scratch on the front which is deeper - at least through the coating, maybe even into the glass. Will I notice it in enlargements?

I got a lens board and this lens (that I would say both were never used) for $100. The exact same items sell at B&H for about $540 dollars.

Am I being picky, or should I send it back? Thanks!

Re: 135mm Rodenstock Enlarging lens

$540 gets you a real new lens with no scratches. If they were never used then how did it get scratched?

Picky? A used scratched lens isn't worth $100 in todays market.

I truly don't think the board has been mounted to an enlarger, nor has the lens been mounted to another board. Alas, you are right though - who wants a scratched lens? I am just curious how big or deep a scratch has to be to be noticable in enlargements.

On another note, I know 150mm is more ideal a focal length for 4x5 - is this for coverage issues? Why do I see a few 135mm lenses out there designated for 4x5 when 150mm is the standard?

I think I may be sending this lens back though - bummer, it truly looks new otherwise...

Eric Woodbury

Depends on the size of the scratch and exactly where it is. If it is out of the area of use at the f/stop you use, then it will go unnoticed. If it is within the area of use, then it will degrade the image contrast by roughly the ratio of the messed up area to the area in use. So if they are very small, then you'll never notice.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Here are a couple of pics - the scratches look bigger up close.

Eric Woodbury

Wide open, they won't matter. By the time you stop down a couple of stops, only your hairdresser will know.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Certo6 did an interesting experiment with a nasty messed-up lens -- the results were surprising.

cyrus, Certo6's experiment notwithstanding, not all lenses with the classic "cleaned with steel wool" look are usable. I have one such, an 80/2.8 Xenotar, that is horribly soft.

But the OP's lens is much much cleaner.

It probably will not matter but why start with a scratched lens? Plenty more good ones out there and 135's should be cheaper then 150. If you want to keep it ask for some money back because if you try and sell it and are honest about the scratches it has very low value.

It's a good lens design. It probably won't be impaired much by the scratches.

In 'taking' lenses, some people fill in scratches with something dark - I can't vouch for whether that reduces the effects. Maybe for enlarging you DON'T want the scratch dark & leave it alone.

If you look at eBay prices. you'll see that you paid a possibly higher than average price.

I bid on a 135 Omegaron (Schneider Comparon) that was in some integrated device that kept it enclosed so it had no handling to speak of. I aid what I thought was a high price with the college tuition-boat payment shipping charge, perhaps $45 total, but it was described as mint.

The same week a friend shipped me a spare (looks unused) Rodenstock 150 (Rodagon?) lens. So that was real cheap. That one needs a retaining ring/flange.

The prices are up & down, sometimes so far down I tell myself it's a buyers' market & don't worry about having too many since they aren't worth reselling.

If the scratches weren't part of the description, I would consider returning and buying one for probably less than half that. It's not a rare bird. A quality one, but not hard to find.

I think 135 is typical for 4x5 enlarger installations with limited height. Some people feel the 150 gives better even illumination across a 4x5 neg, but I'd not be surprised if it depends on the light source, the amount of enlargement, etc. If you do other formats like 6x9, 6x12, it's usable there too.