Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arca-Swiss Field 4x5 vs. Canham DLC

Arca-Swiss Field 4x5 vs. Canham DLC

I have been using a Canham DLC 4x5 for the last several years and have been generally happy with it. It has worked well for all my lenses from 47mm up to a 600mm Telephoto. My only real complaints are its lack of detents, sometimes when using long lenses its not the most stable of cameras, though mostly it has been a good camera.

The tax man smiled on me this year and it has made me think about a new camera. While I like my DLC, I have always wanted a Arca Swiss 4x5 Field camera. I handled one at a workshop a year of so ago and have been wanting on ever since.

Sadly I can't keep both, (the wife would remove various body parts). So before I sell my Canham and plunk down all that cash new camera. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with both or either cameras and any other opinions about them.

Appreciate the help.

Blumine

Re: Arca-Swiss Field 4x5 vs. Canham DLC

I love my Arca-Swiss 4x5 as much as my KB Canham 8x10.

Not used the DLC, so can't compare.

My Arca handles my Nikkor 500 mm just fine, and my 58 mm as well (I recommend a recessed lens board for the 47 mm).
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Haven't really handled the DLC much - only briefly. I will say that the Arca 4x5 field is about as good as it gets, though.

One of the main differences to me is the user interface, all the controls on the Arca are just "right there" and intuitive. Rigidity is definitely better on the Arca too.

The Arca you really want is this.... Arca Swiss 4x5 Field 110-141 with leather bellows, 30cm telescoping rail and micrometric orbix. Not cheap, but worth it!

the cameras are very different animals... they handle and perform differently, but then that's to be expected, as the are designed for different purposes.

in my experience, the primary design criterion for the DLC was weight savings and portability... kieth set out to create the ultimate backpackers 4x5, and in many ways succeeded. the dlc is tiny, light, and can shoot a huge assortment of lenses w/o and additional accessories. it's a fine camera to the extent that those parameters are most important to you.

the arca, on the other hand, is a completely different beast. whilst the dlc is the finest camera for a backpack, the arca is the finest all around camera hands-down. in fact, arca stands for All-aRound CAmera. the f-lines are, imho, the finest view camera ever executed. the configuration sheldon cites above is the small, compact take on the f-line concept, and it is BRILLIANT. it's larger and heavier than the DLC, but sets up faster and is SO much easier to use. the cameras are truly wonderful tools... don't handle one unless you're ready to buy one, as they have a way of making every other type of camera feel in one way or another, inadequate!

Never used the Canhams, but I do love my AS. I would never, ever go back to a field flat bed camera after using the AS. You know how sometimes you just find that piece of equipment that fits just right...well, the AS was it for me.

Hi Blumine,

I've not used a Canham before... so, this is a one-sided comment, ok?

I'll add that the gearing is a fabulous feature on the A/S. Precision built camera!

As Sheldon mentioned... it's a very intuitive camera to use. And stable.

I use to have a Dorff 5x7/4x5 for shooting in the field. However, after using the A/S...I'll take the A/S over ANY other camera ANY day of the week.

For studio use... I still like the Sinar X.

Lastly, if you've always wanted an A/S and can afford it, I'd say, "go for it!" Life is too short NOT to treat yourself every so often" Besides, that's why we work our buns off.

Good luck on the decision.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Blumine View Post
    I have always wanted a Arca Swiss 4x5 Field camera. I handled one at a workshop a year of so ago and have been wanting on ever since.

Blumine
    Life in the fast lane!

Thumbs up Re: Arca-Swiss Field 4x5 vs. Canham DLC

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Rosenberg View Post
    the cameras are very different animals... they handle and perform differently, but then that's to be expected, as the are designed for different purposes.

in my experience, the primary design criterion for the DLC was weight savings and portability... kieth set out to create the ultimate backpackers 4x5, and in many ways succeeded. the dlc is tiny, light, and can shoot a huge assortment of lenses w/o and additional accessories. it's a fine camera to the extent that those parameters are most important to you.

the arca, on the other hand, is a completely different beast. whilst the dlc is the finest camera for a backpack, the arca is the finest all around camera hands-down. in fact, arca stands for All-aRound CAmera. the f-lines are, imho, the finest view camera ever executed. the configuration sheldon cites above is the small, compact take on the f-line concept, and it is BRILLIANT. it's larger and heavier than the DLC, but sets up faster and is SO much easier to use. the cameras are truly wonderful tools... don't handle one unless you're ready to buy one, as they have a way of making every other type of camera feel in one way or another, inadequate!

My Arca 810 will be ~6lbs

I believe the Canham 57 is about this weight.

My vote is for the Arca all the way. Plain and simple, both are setup to do conversions, but I find the simplicity of the Arca, while being able to do anything with it regarding converting formats is second to none. I.E. Two knobs are right on top of each other to serve the dual purpose of rise/fall/swing/tilt/etc...not bad for convenience.

ARCA, no question..But move quickly, the prices are increasing 20%...EC

I've used a DLC for a while, and think it is an excellent camera. It's combination of adequate strength, versatile standard bellows, lens versatility, and compact light weight is unique.

On the other hand, the camera is a bit vague to set up. The detents on the front and rear standards can be inconsistent, and although it works, the rather weak rear standard mounting always has me wondering if something moved when inserting a film holder.

I think the DLC is an excellent, well-made camera suited to people with particular requirements who are willing to accept its compromises. In the final analysis, I found the DLC a bit too distracting, and prefer carrying the extra size and weight of the much sturdier wood Canham.

Until later,

Clyde Rogers

lazy retired bum

When I decided to replace my venerable Toyo 45A, still a fine and capable camera, I looked reasonably carefully at both the AS and Canham. I had always thought the AS was kind of cool.

I respect the opinions of Canham lovers but feel that if you're going to have only one 4x5 camera, the AS is the one. I played with Evan Clarke's AS at a Barnbaum workshop and fell in love, with the camera, not Evan (though he's a really nice guy). The Canham's with which I have played seemed just a bit wobbly and less rigid than the AS. I subsequently chose the AS Field, with the help of Rod Klukas and have been a happy camper ever since. The only thing I would change is that I would spring for the Orbix, which is nice but not absolutely necessary. I have had it for over two years and use it with lenses from 75 to 500. I expect that even if I win the lottery (which will be hard since I do not buy tickets), I'll keep the AS (though I'll get an Orbix front standard).

Good luck.

Eric