Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Bend NP

David Vickery

Re: Big Bend NP

To Darren's list and all of the other contributions I would add the following depending on how much hiking you want to do--there could indeed be an unlimited amount of opportunities at Big Bend--but there is so much that the roads may not get you to:
    Slick Rock Canyon, Alto Real, Dagger Flats, Dog Canyon, The Window from below, The drive to Pine Canyon is just as good as Pine Canyon, Boquillas Canyon and the Rio Grande near it, Burro Mesa Pouroff-both from below and especially from above,--stop anywhere and you can walk around a little bit and find something (but don't for get the water and watch out for the horse crippler and the Lechuguilla and the... well, never mind!).
    Frank Armstrong has a beautiful book, "Rock, River & Thorn" produced by Waterous and Co. that depicts the diversity of the area in Black and White.
    Sudek ambled across my mind one day and took his picture. Only he knows where it is.
    David Vickery

One other thing that may be of interest that I did not mention is Big Bend has alot of backroad campsites you can get along their gravel road system. There are the three actual campgrounds (Rio Grande Village, Chisos Basin, Cottonwood) but the backroad sites are gravel pads at interesting locations in the desert. Take a high clearance vehicle for the roads. A 2WD pickup will make the roads in dry weather. If it rains though, the roads will goto 4WD required really fast. Plan accordingly.

There are a couple dozen sites spread throughout the park. For example there is one by the Mariscal Mine which would be perfect if you want to photograph the mine at dawn (best time of day) as it is at least two hours each way from the paved road. There are also several sites at points along the river road that would be great too.

Basically if you want to go remote and still have acess to a vehicle-this is a great way to do it.

If you are a backpacker there are even more remote places to hike and camp.

Now as David mentions above there are dozens of great remote hikes to little known places. He is so right. I have been actively photographing this park for the last 8 years making 1-2 trips per year and I am always finding new places to explore. I feel I have barely scratched the surface of what is here. It really is that big.

Hope you have a great trip!
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

Good suggestions already - here's another. If you're driving across Texas to get there, don't take I-10 but go to to Del Rio and hang a right on State Highway 90. It's a lot more interesting, and will take you past Seminole Canyon State Park (petroglyphs, canyons) and Langtry, Texas (Judge Roy Bean - Law West of the Pecos.) You'll see some amazing canyons on the Pecos River and understand why the phrase "west of the Pecos" was a serious line of demarcation. It's a wonderful drive, with lots of interesting stops and history.

If you've seen the movie "No Country for Old Men" - that's what it's like.

Hopelessly Lost

Darren, your info is golden, thank you, I will be referencing it soon when I am out there. I have spent a lot of time in West texas over the years, just never got around to going to big bend. I worked on a ranch for a bit out near bracketville and that is when I first really started to love the desert (when I wasn't cursing it). I hate the interstates and avoid them like the plague.

As for my vehicle, Ill be fine. I have driven up and down Baja with it on the worst roads known to man, by far, and it is no worse for wear.
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

Zebra

Hollis,

If you go the 90 route then you might want to consider The Devils River State Natural Area.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...n_bb_014.phtml

When I went I had the entire park to myself. I didn't have time but if you do some research and arrange it ahead of time, Dolan Falls in one spectacular (albeit small) portion of the river. You have to gain access from the Nature Conservancy and I'm not sure if it is open all the time for access but if the planets align I hear it is worth the effort to get to.

http://www.nature.org/wherewework/no...s/art6399.html

Once again have a great trip.

Monty

Glad to be able to help with suggestions.

I would also second taking US 90, Langtry, Devils River, etc. as being worthy destinations in themselves. Not to mention Black Gap Wildlife Management Area (100,000 acres)east of BBNP and Big Bend Ranch State Park (250,000 acres) west of BBNP.

If you go in the summer you might consider the Davis Mountain area. Higher elevations and cooler temps. You have the state park, a Nature Conservancy area, and the McDonald observatory. McDonald Obsv is where you can take in a star party at night and actually look through some of their "smaller" telescopes. It is alot of fun and I highly recommend it too.
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer