Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 47" Rodenstock APO-Ronar-CL

Red face 47" Rodenstock APO-Ronar-CL

In a fit of insanity I purchased this lens for more than I probably should have. Figured I've got 50" of bellows on my 11x14, and it would be a darn shame not to make the most of them.

Has anyone shot something of this focal length on 11x14? Is it a mild telephoto, or more than that? I've wanted to shoot some New York skyline photos from my roof deck, and I'm hoping this might do.

First things first, though - I've got to figure out how to get it on a 5 1/4" lensboard!!!!

Thanks!
    --A

Re: 47" Rodenstock APO-Ronar-CL

That would be about the equivalent of 110mm on 35mm, which does make it a short/mid tele.

joseph

I don't do the big stuff,
    but that looks like fun-
    I wonder if you have enough extension though-
    infinity is a long way away on that thing,
    and the foreground might need to be a long way away too-

perhaps a little top-hat might not be a bad idea,
    as you're making the board anyway?

joseph

My camera has 50" of bellows, so I should be fine. "Similar to 110mm lens on 35mm camera" would be perfect. Only issue remaining is lens board mounting & weight....

We'll see - it may just end up being ridiculous.....keep an eye out in the for sale section!

--A

How big is the sucka? It might be better to make an aluminum lensboard because you will not have much left when you cut the hole.

Don't forget the second tripod- camera shake will be a big issue. See the work of Reinhart Wolf; His book "New York" is a must-have for the kind of thing you're contemplating. to avoid some suspense, I'll tell you that he used an 8x10 Sinar and lenses up to 1000mm. I've always admired that work, and if I lived in the city I'd be trying to do what you have in mind. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Don't forget the second tripod- camera shake will be a big issue. See the work of Reinhart Wolf; His book "New York" is a must-have for the kind of thing you're contemplating. to avoid some suspense, I'll tell you that he used an 8x10 Sinar and lenses up to 1000mm. I've always admired that work, and if I lived in the city I'd be trying to do what you have in mind. Good luck!
    With a Sinar, you can use a standard on the front and back of the lens. I believe that is what Wolf did.

Alec, a monopod could be used as extra support under the front standard. If your Wisner can focus with the rear standard, then you can set the camera up fully extended and still focus without having to remove the front support.

You could do a series on the Empire State building alone, from different vantage points, using the long lens to 'pull' it in. I bet it would also be cool in Maine.

Hey Pete,

Dunno what the weight is yet - should have the beast in-hand next week. My guess is that it's not an "ideal backpacking lens". Might need my Yak back from Erik James....

Eddie was already kind enough to donate a light stand to help reduce the load on the front standard.

I'm sure it would be PERFECT in Maine - thanks for rubbing that in!!!

--A

Got the lens today - really a beast. Guessing it's at least eight to ten pounds. I have an email out to Richard Ritter to see if a custom metal lens board could be produced with threads to match the flange. Thus a "built-in" flange that, per Pete's suggestion, might have less stress than a wood board with narrow edges.

Have to say though, that short of that I may need to check into a white, comfy, padded room for a few weeks....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Darnton View Post
    That would be about the equivalent of 110mm on 35mm, which does make it a short/mid tele.
    Yeah, beginning to wonder if pulling out my 135mm lens for my 35mm camera might not have been the better idea!!!!

--A

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Alec, you nut! I mean that in a nice way! I'm glad I don't have that much bellows on my 11x14! I'd be crazy enough to try and backpack with it! The lens and nothing else!!! Let me know how it goes. I've only got the 28" component from my TRT. I'm kind of glad I've only got 36" of bellows.

JIm