Thread: Ground glass protector

Ground glass protector

Wow! just got my new Toyo VX125 and is it ever a hummer. That ground glass looks quite vulnerable to damage however. Does anyone have any experience with the Ca lumet 4x5 ground glass protector? Or any other door-like attachments to protect the glass? I know about the folding Toyo viewer for $100, but don't really want the viewer part. You would think someone (Toyo for instance)would make a simple swinging door... Thanks any help!

Scott

Photographer

Ground glass protector

I've used the Calumet GG protector and it's works fine. I've also made two wooden ones for wooden cameras that press fit next to the glass.
    Keith Pitman

Ground glass protector

I too use the calumet GG cover. Its a cheapy plastic thing but it works fine. I use it all the time since I have a new Boss Screen. Keith

Ground glass protector

I just made one for an 8x10; I had the framing shop at a local discount art supp ly store cut a fairly thick piece of plex slightly larger, and stuck it on with velcro. Total cost was about $3, works fine.

Ground glass protector

I've used the Calumet version and it works o.k. but looks and feels like the cheapest piece of black plastic junk you've ever seen. Canham makes a much nicer clear plastic one that will fit most any camera (i.e. it isn't restricted to Canham cameras) is also more substantial and I suspect would do a better job. It costs around $30. I bought mine from The F Stops Here but any Canham dealer should have them. Wisner also makes one but I've been told by a dealer that it will only fit Wisner cameras for some reason.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Ground glass protector

I'm not familiar with exactly how a ground glass protector would attach to your camera, but I came up with a solution for my camera that I thought was kind of clever and might also work for the Toyo.

I bought one of the plastic 18% gray cards and cut it to fit over my ground glass and under the little accessory latch that my camera has to hold a folding hood.

I pop my camera on the tripod, release my GG protector which doubles as a handy sized gray card to use for metering.