Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to LF but not photography UK

New to LF but not photography UK

Hi all

Well after some late night reading and researching LF I decided to take a plunge and have a go. Back in the late 80's early 90's I took an interest in photography an used early Nikons, and to be honest never really got the results I wanted due to one thing or another, mainly shortage of cash! so it all sort of fizzled out, along comes the affordable digital age and in the early 00's and financially better of I started to dabble again and now find myself with Digital slr (Nikon D200) and a bag full of lenses, filters and more software than i can think of and with a reluctance to admit that its not really what I’m after for a landscape too, i find myself running around taking quantity rather than quality and the sub conscious thought in the back of ones mind that with all those images and a Hard Disk full of software there will be some 'keepers', well im sorry its not for me and had always though I was cheating myself, so I’ve decided to get back to slowing things down and taking my time and thinking about what I want to achieve and how I’m going to do it, and LF is something I’ve always wanted to try and had a fondness of.

So I now find myself With a Shen Hao HZX45-IIA and a second hand 150/5.6 Apo Symmar along with some other bits and bobs.

I shot my first fist full of Velvia quick load this week end and I’m now anxiously waiting for them to come back to see just what a mess I’ve made!! 6 Hours to shoot 6 tranies!! I must say though it feels far more rewarding and satisfying than filling a 2GB memory card...

Well enough from me and I hope to gain from the very knowledgeable I can see hang around here...

Regards

Chris

Re: New to LF but not photography UK

I'm not far behind you Chris, my lenses arrived today, and the camera should be here on thursday - I'm very excited

I look forward to seeing the results of your 6 hours!

Hello Chris (and Ben),

Welcome, I'll sure you'll have fun. I sold my D200 and various lenses last year to switch to 4x5 (for mainly the reasons you mentioned) and haven't regretted it one bit. I really enjoy the whole process of using large format - really enjoyable. Just wait to till you look at your first transparency through a loupe on a light box, its magic!

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanPerkins View Post
    Hello Chris (and Ben),

Welcome, I'll sure you'll have fun. I sold my D200 and various lenses last year to switch to 4x5 (for mainly the reasons you mentioned) and haven't regretted it one bit. I really enjoy the whole process of using large format - really enjoyable. Just wait to till you look at your first transparency through a loupe on a light box, its magic!

Jonathan
    Tell me about it! cant wait, in fact i'm in the process of moving to a bigger house so had a loft clearout this week end and sat for ages looking at some 35mm velvia from August 91, wow! id forgotten just how nice they look Ive never seen a 5x4 in the flesh so I can imagine just how nice big formats will be...

Boys boys boys, what have you done. You do realise it won't stop at 4x5, soon you'll be lusting over 8x10, then ULF. Mind you if you stick with trannies then that might restrict you, if you start doing B&W then there is no hope.... ;-)

Welcome and have fun,
    Andrew

OK, here is my usual suspects reading list

check the archives here

go to www.viewcamera.com and then to Free Articles. There should be several that will be helpful

try one of these books

Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga
    User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone
    Using the View Camera that I wrote

check your local library

try and find a local cc with a class or take a workshop. You will meet like minded people and get help with questions you don't know you have.

good luck

steve simmons

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    OK, here is my usual suspects reading list

check the archives here

go to www.viewcamera.com and then to Free Articles. There should be several that will be helpful

try one of these books

check your local library

try and find a local cc with a class or take a workshop. You will meet like minded people and get help with questions you don't know you have.

good luck

steve simmons

Steve, I took delivery of your book this morning from Amazon, not had chance to pick it up yet but there's a bottle of wine at home with my name on it so ill settle down tonight and make a start!

Welcome aboard!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

try one of these books

steve simmons[/QUOTE]

You will have fun. I have been at it for about five years now. The Dykinga book was my primary influence to make it happen. View Camera is also helpfull. I had been shooting a canon EOS-1 for 10 years. Wanted something that could print big. 4X5 was it for me. It does slow you down, 6 hours for 6 images is not bad starting out. I still shoot with the 35mm now and then.

Welcome to the LF Forum, Chris. Your "adventure" has begun.