Thread: Where can I get a lensboard made?

Where can I get a lensboard made?

I need a lensboard for a Calumet Wood-Field 4X5 camera and a Copal 0 shutter. T he lensboard is 3 5/8 square. Without going to Calumet, who can make a lensboar d for me? Would it be less expensive to have someone make me a lensboard than t o buy the lensboard from Calumet? Any and all responses would be greatly apprec iated. I am sure I am not the only one looking for lensboards.

Louis, Try KEH (404-892-5522). They always have a ton of used lensboards. Serg io.

I have made my own lensboards, including recessed ones, for years now out of eve rything from masonite to cast aluminum. Tools required are minimal except for th e drilling of the hole for the lens. A machinist can help you there if you don't have what you need. If you have anywood or metalworking skills at all, give it a try yourself!

Try Al Bowker at (303) 650-1984. Al machines high quality replacement boards for all cameras out of a high density plastic that exactly duplicates your original board in the $25 - $35 range. I have found his workmanship top notch. He will n eed your original for replication and the retaining ring if you want him to dril l your board for you. He turns things around quite quickly.

I would agree with Doremus Scudder. Try making your own lens boards. Wood is a n easy and cheap material to work with. Fancy finishs are optional. Cutting th e center hole will be the only hard part, but all that is required is a small dr ill (1/8"), a round file, and some patience. Draw a circle where you want the c enter hole. Drill a series of small holes around the INSIDE of the circle. Pun ch out the waste wood in the center of the hole. Smooth the hole with the round file until it fits the lens. This process can work with metal also, but a smal l jeweler's saw is needed to cut from hole to hole and remove the center waste.

I would just like to let everyone know what I did about getting my lensboards. I contacted Al Bowker in Colorado. He was great. He makes lensboard out of bla ck ABS. He says they are stronger than the aluminum ones. All I had to do was to send him a sample lensboard. He only charges $15 per lensboard. For all or the fussing around to make your own, you might as well let Al do it for you. He also makes lensboards for enlargers. I just want everyone to know that your su ggestions are used and greatly appreciated. Without the help, I would have over paid and not had this wonderful supplier in Colorado. Thanks again for all of t he responses.