Thread: Summer Trip

Smile Summer Trip

Hello, I need your help. I trying to put together a trip again. I learned from my last trip the while the National Parks (tourist areas) are scenic, I much prefer being on Jeep trails. As an ULFer it is much more productive, if you can imagine.

OK. so the trip will begin on May 20 in southern Cal. and go on until we get tired of being on the road. We do have to make our way back to Louisiana. Eastern Sierra 395 corridor. Then up to crater Lake and over to Yellowstone and Tetons then down. As I said I really liked areas like backroad of Glen Canyon places you can be out there by yourself.
    Thanks
    PBrooks

Re: Summer Trip

You can be out there by yourself almost anywhere that is not famous! How are you travelling? Camping? RV with vehicle? When you talk about jeep roads, do you mean raods wher 4WD is a necessity, or just dirt roads?

After Crater Lake I would spend a little time in the North Umpqua River drainage. There are jeep roads, but most good stuff can be accessed from ordinary paved roads. There are usually a few "local tourists" out on the weekends - most likely on a weekday there wouldn't be anybody around.

As you proceed from Crater Lake toward Yellowstone/the Tetons, you might check out southeastern Oregon - you would be hard pressed to find an emptier part of the lower 48 I imagine. Steens Mountain and the Alvord Desert are interesting and potentially photogenic spots. If you hunt around any of the several websites where Marc Adamus has his stuff you can find some images of the Alvord Desert.

One issue you will have with any place very high is that there will still be snow until later in June.

Have Fun!
    Gregg Waterman

Re: Summer Trip

Depending on the time of summer, the jeep trails around Ouray and Silverton Colorado are excellent. As a jeeper myself, I'm assuming you mean jeep. I know the trails around Colorado pretty well and the trails around Utah, especially Moab somewhat well. You can PM me for more information if you're considering Colorado or a return to Utah.