Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The joys of digital and travel

jetcode

Re: The joys of digital and travel

Quote Originally Posted by David Luttmann View Post
    I was in the same boat. When I spent time is Asia, I brought along a old Delkin Picture Pad and skipped that laptop. The picture pad was enough for about 3000 Raw shots, which was just right for the amount of street work I wanted to do.

Now, CF cards are so cheap, that I just have a mountain of 4gb and 8gb cards. 4gb for the 10mp camera, and 8gb for the 15mp camera.
    David do you mail the cards home when they fill?

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    David do you mail the cards home when they fill?
    When I don't bring a laptop, I have a DVD burner that accepts CF cards, otherwise, I just backup the cards to DVD....but I don't delete the files on the cards until I actually run our of CF space.....which is pretty much never.

I am in similar situation. Every year I am moving for summer and fall (4 to 5 months) to summer house on a small island. While I take huge amount of computer gear (no ferry, I have to use my own boat) to make an impression that my business is well and alive during these few months I am not attempting to setup any type of darkroom there. Main reason I use lake water and feel that that employing filtering system is too much work.
    I come every few weeks to the town, few hours drive, and spend full day developing film. I find this very refreshing. Since you tend to forget some details after week or two, developing film appears to be like shooting once again, you discover stuff that you do not expect. I do not have the same pleasure with digital while looking at the screen few hours after pictures were taken.

Hopelessly Lost

I am in the same boat of having to take gear with me on the road. I will be out travelling for close to a year here in a few days and I have my kit narrowed down to a laptop, a scanner (flatbed), 4x5, bunch of lenses, film, holders, etc. Canon 1ds mk3, 3 lenses, 2 small external drives, 2 large external drives and a Wacom tablet. All of the computer gear is going into my pelican 1650 while my LF gear goes into a smaller Storm Case. My canon is going to live in my shoulder bag which can also take my laptop when I want to carry one or the other or even both. The pelican will keep the dust out and vibration to a minimum while on the road while being large enough to actually work out of. As for the drives, I will be mailing them back to a friend who will be 'archiving' them for me in a safe deposit box probably once a month or so just in case.
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.