Thread: 15 1/2 inch Velostigmat.

15 1/2 inch Velostigmat.

I'm hoping one of you geniuses out there can help me with some information about one of my old lenses.

It's Wollensak Velostigmat 15 1/2" f 4.5 mounted in a Studio # 4. I recently had Carol Miller work on the shutter so it now works perfectly. (A very few minor marks on the glass, so it should have some nice radiance for skin tones.)

This is the variable soft focus (1-5) lens and everything works quite smoothly.

Does anyone know just how large the image circle is on this beast? And, I need to insure this, but have absolutely no idea of it's potential value. Help please.

Thanks to everybody.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Re: 15 1/2 inch Velostigmat.

cameraeccentric.com has a copy of the original Velo brochure posted. My 12" version covered 8x10 ok so you'll have plenty of room on that format. It's a Tessar-formula lens so 11x14 might be possible. Just don't shoot into the light...

lenser,

It is supposed to cover 11x14 according to their propaganda.

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...ostigmate.html

Wayne

Tim,

I have a 15 1/2" Velostigmat II. While it will illuminate 11x14 quite nicely, without any soft focus cranked in it gets very soft at the edges. Actually, it is more of a focus shift than softness since you can refocus the edges to be relatively sharp but then the center of the image is out of focus. Stopping down to f/22-f32 helps, but for me the edge sharpness is not acceptable even in an 11x14 contact print. Once you start cranking in some soft focus the problem only get worse.

The lens does better on 8x10, but even here there is edge sharpness/focus shift issues that make it a marginal performer, imho, even as a soft focus optic.

Of course, whether the lens will work for you depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Anyway, that's my experience.

Thanks to all who have replied. I am planning on using this on my old Century studio camera with 5x7 film and maybe on an 8x10 Ansco commercial view (seen in the background in my avatar). I'm anxious to see what kind of results it gives.

Does anyone have a clue as to how much I should insure this baby for?

thanks.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I sold my 12" on this forum last year for I think $250. Prices have gone up some since then as SF lenses have come back in style. (Thank you Mr. Galli) 15-1/2" lenses would at a guess be worth more than the more common 12" ones. Search the for sale listings here or perhaps on ebay, although I'd guess few have sold lately. Idea- insure it for what it would cost to to pay for its replacement (which might well be a different portrait lens).

In the Studio shutter I'd guess $385 - $425 to replace it.

Again,

My great thanks to everybody. It's fantastic to be part of this group and it's collective and encyclopedic knowledge!

Tim