Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ted Harris Memorial Weekend, June 5-8

Ted Harris Memorial Weekend, June 5-8

The Ted Harris Memorial Weekend.

We need to celebrate Ted Harris’s life, because the thought of him no longer with us is hard to bear. Ted would want us to celebrate by photographing and spending time together, so that’s what we’ll do.

If you’re so inclined and available, join Richard Ritter and Bruce Barlow for a free “Ted Harris Memorial Weekend” Thursday, June 5 through Sunday, June 8, 2008. It may be that this serves as your alternative to foto3, if for some reason you couldn’t make it to Ft. Collins.

We’ll go to new places (for Richard and me) to photograph in Vermont and New Hampshire to check them out for inclusion in future Fine Focus Workshops. Maybe they’ll be good, maybe not. Odds are that they’ll be worthwhile – we’re going to some of them out in advance with Richard’s new lightweight 8x10. Expect old mills, streams, an old farm, stone bridges, and maybe downtown Keene portrait fodder. Probably two places per day, with lunch as the divider.

Any and all formats welcome – including digital. This is about pictures, and about Ted, not technology.

Evenings, we’ll gather at some local eatery and swap photographic lies, and remember the kindness and generosity of Ted Harris. Bring a Ted story if you have one. The restaurants won’t be new – we’ll go to our favorites. Ted deserves to have us raise a glass to him, and Keene’s brewpub’s outstanding beer would honor his memory.

Details will follow: most likely we’ll post a schedule with links to MapQuest, and maybe GPS coordinates if I figure out how to work the d**n thing. That way, you’re welcome to join us for any or all places, any or all days. We’ll just be where and when we say we’ll be. This is not a workshop. It’s gathering to photograph in a number of places, and to be with friends who remember Ted. There is no cost, other than your own food, travel and lodging. Nothing will be provided except fellowship. If it rains, we’ll hang out at Bruce’s, which means you may want to bring prints to show in his gallery space.

This is not intended to compete with foto3, or to detract from that event in any way. But if you wanted a photographic fix and couldn’t swing Ft. Collins for any reason, please consider joining us!

In the meantime, please remember Ted fondly, and send kind thoughts to his wonderful wife Amy.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Re: Ted Harris Memorial Weekend, June 5-8

While Ted was a friend I find your selection of dates distasteful. There are four weekends in June and your picking the only one that conflicts with the foto3 show is poor planning.

You should pick a date that is not so controversial. And would allow for more people to attend. Especially if they want and are planning to go to Ft. Collins!

Whatever the dates, Bruce, I'll be there in spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    While Ted was a friend I find your selection of dates distasteful. There are four weekends in June and your picking the only one that conflicts with the foto3 show is poor planning.

You should pick a date that is not so controversial. And would allow for more people to attend. Especially if they want and are planning to go to Ft. Collins!
    I could not agree more. Certainly the loss of anyone is tragic and my heart felt sympathy goes out to the family and friends.

I guess this means that Richard Ritter will not be attending Foto3 and having a booth? I was specifically attending Foto3 to see the new camera system and discuss possible purchase. I want to see and handle the camera before making my decision and I feel there are others that are interested. To not attend, in my opinion, would be a poor business decision indeed.

B. Dalton

I'd ask everyone to keep this thread free of controversy with respect to any scheduling conflict with Foto 3.

I just lost one of my two best friends in the world, the other being Richard Ritter.

Ted was totally on-board with the idea and the dates as of yesterday, when it had a different name. His widow is completely on board. We were going to post it today.

Richard is still deciding about attending Ft. Collins. Should he go west, I'll do it alone.

To think that anyone would choose us over Ft. Collins, especially at this late date, is ludicrous. That's why we held off any announcement. It's designed for those who, for any reason, can't make it to Colorado, and who might be able to make it here (read: close by) to go out and photograph. The date enables several of our favorite people, who can't make it to Ft. Collins, to be with us.

We may do it again later. It may be an annual event.

Sorry, Ralph, but rather than controversy, I'm trying to explain.

Thanks, Bob and Blacky, for your sensitivity. No good deed goes unpunished, I guess.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

i will be there! thanks bruce!

the dates work well for me.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I'll be in Europe at that time, but I will make it a point in going out and taking pictures on those days - it'll be 35mm format or digital, as I won't have my LF gear with me, but, as you said, this is not about the format, it is about celebrating Ted's life. I am still in shock and cannot believe that he is no longer with us. We should have a place where we can post the results of those "Ted days".
    Juergen

I will not be able to attend, but I will be more than happy to donate the server space to put images from that weekend up, Bruce if that is of interest, please send me a note at satinsnowglass@yahoo.com and we can work out the details.

Dave

I'm visiting family in Las Vegas that weekend, but I'll have some time to be out burning some sheet film, so I'll be there in spirit.