Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x10 project

Re: 8x10 project

That looks impressive Albert. When you're done you can start on the 7x17 for me!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Albert congratulations! It looks great. I built two cameras so far both ULF. 8x20 and just finished the 11x14. Didn't build my own bellows and yours looks very good. What material did you use? The back is a little tricky and it helps if you have a holder to build it around so you get the dimensions for the film plane. Nice going.

Jim
    Thanks for the compliments everyone, if you use a really cheap digital to take your pictures it misses a lot of the imperfections. The material for the outside covering was boat canvas and the inner was blackout curtain lining. I hope to have a film holder this weekend so that I can get started on the back.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

[QUOTE=Albert Lombardi;342889]Thanks for the compliments everyone, if you use a really cheap digital to take your pictures it misses a lot of the imperfections.

Albert, I couldn't agree more! although I think you are wrong. It looks very well done. The great thing about this camera building stuff is the passion for the project. When the camera is done it is great to take that first image. It is so exciting! When I first used my 8x20 after a year and a half of building I did not know if it even worked when I took my first image. Looking at the ground glass of that 8x20 high in the Sierra Nevada mountains was such a thrill I will never forget. I think the other two photographers I was with will never forget my screams of joy. It was just as exciting when I pulled the first 8x20 neg out of the fix and saw a great image. The 11x14 was fun to build but I'm telling you it can get to be an addiction if you are not careful. I'm going to eventually build an 8x10 to replace my 100 year old Seneca Improved 8x10. But don't forget to burn some film when you are done and let us see the results.

JIm

I build a lot of cameras. Pinhole, 4X5, anything up to and including 8X10. It's what keeps me from going nuts, and I love it. Your camera looks very nice. Far better than my first attempt. I hope you get a lens and a back on it soon so you can enjoy it. I don't know if this will help but for backs, I try to keep an eye on the auction site for odd ones that nobody seems to want very bad. Just the springs and focus panel are worth more than some of them go for.

Progress on the camera is a little slow but progressing. The back is just about complete and the GG holder is under construction. Any advice, suggestions on how to fasten the back to the camera would be greatly appreciated, also for the glass is there a preferred type or thickness

Attachment 12263

Attachment 12264

Albert,

Anything between 2-3 mm will work for the screen. You need a couple of pieces of spring steel, so you can insert a film holder under the ground glass holder when you are ready to shoot, also make sure your ground glass is at the same plain as your film holder, or your focus will be off.

By the way, received and will be shipped very soon.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    Albert,

Anything between 2-3 mm will work for the screen. You need a couple of pieces of spring steel, so you can insert a film holder under the ground glass holder when you are ready to shoot, also make sure your ground glass is at the same plain as your film holder, or your focus will be off.

By the way, received and will be shipped very soon.

Dave
    Thank you for the info on the glass and the delivery.

Albert

Good job!