Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finding lenboards for a Kodak 2D

Re: Finding lenboards for a Kodak 2D

Believe me, I wish I had a wood shop--the tools, space, and the skills to use it. I'm reasonably handy within the limits of my time and tools. I completely disassembled and reassembled my 2D in order to clean up all the hardware. Being a single dad with two small kids, a demanding job, volunteer commitments, and a love of photography doesn't leave me a lot of time to take on woodworking. I have the greatest admiration for you guys that can build and modify large format gear.

I'll check with Mr Ritter, no doubt he does fine work, although maybe a bit dear for a 2D. I plan to use the Technika adapter with a few of my smaller lenses that cover 8x10--the Docter Germinar 240mm and my Nikkor-M 300mm. For anything else, I plan to use standard 2D-sized (6"x6") lens boards.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    I plan to use the Technika adapter with a few of my smaller lenses that cover 8x10--the Docter Germinar 240mm and my Nikkor-M 300mm. For anything else, I plan to use standard 2D-sized (6"x6") lens boards.
    Barry, that's more or less what I do for my WP Eastman, which takes the 6" boards. I have adapter boards for both Technika and Toyo/Canham boards, which lets me swap smaller lenses with other cameras, but I also have a big 300mm Caltar II-N on a 6" board, dedicated for the time being to the WP Eastman. The Technika adapter is an old one that I stumbled across, and Richard made the Toyo adapter for me.

I make all my boards, and have NOT been doing this long, nor am I a woodworker. What I am is A. Cheap, and B. Impatient. I buy a lens, I want to use it - fast.

I've been using brown masonite, the stuff they make pegboards out of (you can get it without holes). I cut one square to fit, cut another smaller to fit the inside "notch" or lighttrap. I gorilla glue them together, rough side in on both. When dry I use a home depot hole saw set (about 15 bucks) and cut a suitable size with my drill. No drill press, a hand drill. I've made about 10 lensboards for my 2D and speed graphic. Spraypaint and enjoy.

I bet I have about 4 dollars in each. I'm getting ready to make one now....for a Saturday gig. There's other things I have to buy, but not a simple square of wood.

Very nice, I like the look of that brass lens. I may try and make a few boards myself.

Another forum member PM'd me and apparently got taken by the same ebay seller, so a word of caution before you deal with oaklandlenscom aka jorge moreno. I have no idea as to his real name.

Dave Karp

Barry,

I don't have much time or a workshop, but I was able to make this: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...eneca+technika

The only major tool needed was the drill press needed to make a nice hole for the adapter. I don't have one, but know someone who does. It takes as long as you need it to take, and it was kind of fun.

If I did not do this, I would have called Richard Ritter, as recommended by the others.

I will second the caution on oaklandlenscom. I paid for a lens board adapter and never received it. I sure would not send him a lens to mount into a lens board.

I just made my own lens boards from baltic birch plywood from a home improvement store.

Any body else get ripped off by oaklandlenscom?

Wayne

Because his boards were so reasonable, I sent a question about one (asking if he could make other sizes, I need 4.5"). I got no response. He has a good feedback (relatively) and has done lots of business. May just be "busy", but I think I'll look elsewhere.

I make humble 6x6 lens boards for Deardorff from black foam core sheets. They work suprisingly well for what I need from them, please don't laugh. ;-) The largest lens I mounted in one was a 7'' Aero Ektar. All you need is a sharp knife, a cutting mat, a ruler, and a glue stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne R. Scott View Post
    I will second the caution on oaklandlenscom. I paid for a lens board adapter and never received it. I sure would not send him a lens to mount into a lens board.

I just made my own lens boards from baltic birch plywood from a home improvement store.

Any body else get ripped off by oaklandlenscom?

Wayne
    I did order 2 lens boards for a 2D a few months ago and received them quickly and they fit fine. Was going to order more because of the low cost for a finished board, but not sure now after hearing about other's experiences.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I have been making my own lensboards for several years now, they carry good quality plywoods at the hobby shops, that is very easy to work with, even with hand tools, there really is not any science involved in making a wood lensboard, I have even made a few conversation boards to mount other lensboards on a camera..they are very simple to make..

Dave