Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac to PC network

Mac to PC network

I am an old PC guy, got my first IBM 1987, and now I got an old drumscanner with bundled software only for Mac. I managed to install the proper OS, MacOS 8.6 and color quartet and after some trials and errors and important help from this forum I am able to operate the scanner. I hooked the Mac to my network, managed by a router, and brought it to a running internet connection. But I am not able to see the windows boxes from the Mac or vice versa.

Btw, how do you fix your film on the drum? Do you use another clear sheet wetmounted over the film or do you tape the film? How do you avoid this airbubbles? I have tried to tape one long side and roll it out with a rubber roller, the disadvantage for me is that the outrolled fluid isnt that good for the tape. Do clean the drum before taping? What sheets are best used for over the film?
    How do you clean your film and drum? My fluid is from an Italian company an is claimed as oilfree, does this mean I can clean it with water, just adding some softmaker to avoid borders from drieing?

Sorry for that lot of questions, but 100 miles here around nobody has ever seen a drumscanner, so forgive me.^^

Thanks and kind regards

Martin

Re: Mac to PC network

up^^

Holy cats! Lots 'o questions.

First, I'm doing basically the same thing as you. My Photoshop PC is connected to my drum scanner's Mac using a product called Dave which runs on the Mac and makes a PC file share look local to the Mac. So I tell the scanner to save the file on the PC's hard drive. Neat, clean, seamless. Makes life much easier than trying to get a PC to speak AppleTalk.

Second, best place to ask drum scanner questions is the yahoo group ScanHi-End. There are a number of drum scanners participating there, many with ScanMates.

Look in the files section of the ScanHi-End group for a file called something like Chris Brown's film mounting 101. It's a long detailed workflow for mounting film on a drum. Chris is a professional if there ever was one, and his workflow is almost exactly the one I use (because I learned mine from him). Works beautifully.

Third, if you are in North America, buy supplies from either Prazio or Aztek. I use the Prazio products and can vouch for both the products which are excellent and the company which has excellent customer service. Aztek sells the Kami products which seem to have problems with some drums. Some people swear by them, some people swear at them. Read through the archives of the ScanHi-End group and decide for yourself what's up with Kami fluid and drums hazing. It's been discussed quite a bit.

In Europe SDS sells SDS supplies (IIRC SDS is the supplier to Prazio). Kami sells directly in Europe. Elsewhere I have no information.

Oh, and welcome to the world of drum scanning. It's not as difficult as it might seem. You'll get the hang of it fairly quickly.

Bruce Watson

Thank you a lot for the link to Mr. Brown.^^

And thanks for the welcome to drumscanning world. I am sure I will love it, I just made some tests -with bad mounting , lot of bubbles and a dirty film-, and the output is that impressive that I am very motivated to see the results of a good done scan. I have scanned some 6x7 and 13x18 (5x7) with a flatbed canon 9950 before and I am surprised to see that difference.

Regards

Martin

just looked for that Dave software, it seems to work only with MacOS 10 or higher,

Martin

martin, have you resolved your issues yet? my primary computer is a pc, but when i bought a screen cezanne scanner, i needed to buy a mac to drive it... enter my first mac - a powermac g4 running OS9. odd ducks, indeed.

to get the files from the mac (scanning computer) to my pc (editing computer) i use hotline FTP.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Miksch View Post
    just looked for that Dave software, it seems to work only with MacOS 10 or higher.
    It does indeed. You might want to call Thursby Software and ask about the last version that supported Mac OS 8.x and see if you can find a copy somewhere. I don't remember what version of Dave I've got running, but it works fine with Mac OS 9.1 which is what my scanner Mac runs. I'm thinking it's Dave 5.x maybe.

Bruce Watson

If anybody finds a version of Dave that works with a mac that has OS9.x, please let us all know- My drum scanner software did not work with 10.0 and I had to uninstall it and find a used copy of 9.1 to get it to work. Currently, I scan the file and save it to the hard drive on my G3 then load that file onto a thumb drive (takes about 13 minutes for a 500MB file) then I take the thumb drive over to the PC where I add the .tif extension to the file name, then I can transfer the file to my PC where photoshop and printing etc is done. I think I need Dave!

The sheet to mount over the film is made from what?

I am very happy to read about the need of writing the tif extension after USB- stick transfer to PC, I am waiting for an USB 1.1 card for my Mac which ordered some days ago from the bay and this information saves me a lot of time and nerves.^^ Thanks

@Scott: do I get you right, you installed an ftp server on your Mac and jump to its IP from the ftp client on your PC? This seems to be a very interesting way.

Kind Regards

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Miksch View Post
    The sheet to mount over the film is made from what?

Scott: do I get you right, you installed an ftp server on your Mac and jump to its IP from the ftp client on your PC? This seems to be a very interesting way.

Kind Regards

Martin
    bingo. ftp server on the mac... wsftp on my pc. i transfer the files fro mthe mac to the pc vis the ftp server app on the mac... REALLY EASY!!

-s