Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying software online?

Question Buying software online?

Okay, let me start by saying I am not interested in buying illegal, pirated or educational versions of imaging software that could be used for commercial purposes. But, I see lots of online retailers selling Adobe products practically half off compared to the manufacturers website. Are any of these places legitimate? How would a person know? Have any of you had positive or negative experiences?

~Nate

Re: Buying software online?

I see no one has answered your questions. Hmmm...., wonder why? I've always purchased software from the Apple store or the respective company's on-line store (Adobe, etc.) because the installation will automatically register your version (s/n) for the usual automatic updates and free/low cost upgrades. With third party software I would ask about the serial number, who owns it and who is the registered owner to check with the actual company. I don't know but you may be buying a copy that will install and run but can't be registered. That would only be a problem if you wanted support or and updates/upgrades. Just my thoughts.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

I knew I wouldn't get many responses on this, but I figured I'd get more than one! Thanks, I understand that there are many shady companies offering software at low prices because it is probably not legitimate. I was just curious if there was a way to save some money. Can't blame me for trying I think I'll try ebay. I am starting to work with Flash and I am looking for the web premium suite. It just makes me cringe to think of dropping $1,600 on some software. I know it's very powerful, it's just really out of my budget. Wonder why Photoshop is the most pirated software??$$??

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

I ordered hard copies of adobe products direct form Adobe themselves because I've been using them since the days of Win 3.1, and if you ahve older programs, you get upgrades for about a 1/3rd of the cost new.

I strongly suspect that the prices you see advertised are legit, but what they are NOT tell you is that these are 'upgrade" prices, and you have to have a previous serial number from your old product to activate them. Usually it's noted in some very small, very fine print somewhere on the print ad or web page.

While not illegal, it strikes me a sleezy.
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Battles View Post
    It just makes me cringe to think of dropping $1,600 on some software.
    Probably good computer for $1,600 would make you smile. Unfortunately professional software is much harder to develop and it requires higher skills than manufacturing computers today. One of the reasons good software comes from developed countries and hardware from China, etc.. I cannot understand that value of advanced software is still under appreciated.
    Wonder why Photoshop is the most pirated software??$$??
    It is good, needed software and pirating does not require explicit (physical) shoplifting, can be as easy as few $$ for pirated CD.

this may or may not be an option for you, but perhaps it may help others.
    if you are a student, go to creationengine.com. so long as you have a valid college id, you can get all sorts of software for FAR less than anywhere i've ever seen. i got the creative suite back in 2004 for less than $400. they are perfectly legitimate and i had no problems at all with service, delivery or the suite itself.

I think Jenn is pointing out something to look into - I've seen stores around here that always have low prices on Adobe stuff but the prices are for academic versions, which do actually cost less.

Unfortunately, using the academic versions for commercial purposes violates Adobe's license agreement, and I want to use this for commercial purposes.

If it's not too late and you're still in need of Adobe S/W?
    I've a full version of Adobe CS Suite Premium for sale?
    Only selling as I managed to buy the full version of CS2 Suite online.
    If your interested get in touch-I can ship to the US, it has all the CD's and plastic box and product key codes..

Okay, let me start by saying I am not interested in buying illegal, pirated or educational versions of imaging software that could be used for commercial purposes. But, I see lots of online retailers selling Adobe products practically half off compared to the manufacturers website. Are any of these places legitimate? How would a person know? Have any of you had positive or negative experiences?

~Nate
    Yeah, I did it.

I looked for CS3 on Amazon where it was for sale at the standard price, and in the area where you sometimes see 'used and new' prices, I saw an 'affiliate' (some kinda business association with Amazon, I guess) selling CS3 for under $350. I thought about it long and hard (maybe an hour), talked it over with my wife. It seemed too good to be true, but the seller had good 'amazon feedback', so I bought it. It appeared in my mailbox in just two days!

I opened it up and the packaging seemed a bit flimsy, and I started thinking it was a well-packaged pirated copy. I worked up the nerve to install it, thinking it would probably hose my system, install viruses and trojans etc. and have a serial number that would ring alarm bells at Adobe. But I'd spent the money, I had to see how this would end.

When the install finished, it prompted me to register. I worriedly clicked OK and crossed my fingers. It opened a web browser into Adobe's registration site and I plugged in the serial number.
    Adobe liked the number! As near as I have been able to reason out my good fortune, I'm theorizing the selleer is an Adobe employee selling something they got with an employee discount or something.

I have subsequently looked at the CS3 packaging at Fry's Electronics and it looks just as flimsy.

// Wally